U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM

29,204 posts, read 51,623,763 times

Advertisements

Only car I ever owned was in High School which was a Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a 455 engine V-8 with a four Barrel Carburetor in the 1970's.

News, Last Ford Crown Victoria rolls off the line.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The last Ford Crown Victoria rolled off a Canadian assembly line Thursday, marking the end of the big, heavy Ford cars that have been popular with taxi fleets and police departments for decades.
Since 1979, almost 10 million Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars -- so-called Panther Platform vehicles -- have been sold.

Ford's last Crown Victoria rolls off the line - Sep. 15, 2011

Last edited by JD59; 09-16-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM

14,781 posts, read 39,901,668 times
End of an era, but they won't be going anywhere fast. Chances are you will still see them around regularly for at least the next 10 years. Reading the article and the comments though, people really have the wrong idea about that car. For instance, the article and many people were lampooning its weight. Well, it did weigh a shade under 4k pounds, but that doesn't exactly make it a porker in terms of fullsize cars these days.

What killed the Panther cars was Ford's lack of innovation and improvement to the platform. The Panthers were cash cows for Ford and they sucked the platform dry in a lot of failed acquisitions like Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover. The Panther cars were left to wallow instead of being refined and developed. The 24 MPG rating the car gets isn't that bad for what it is, but is more a symptom of the engine/trans combo used than it is anything about how the car was built. Throw a modern 3.7L V6 and 6 speed auto in there and you would get a noticable bump in MPG and make significantly more power, while not changing anything.

The car died because it was a dinosaur, because Ford let it become a dinosaur. It wouldn't have taken much investment on their part to refine the platform and keep it alive. There was nothing inherently wrong with the Panther cars, Ford just ignored them for too long and doesn't have the cash to update them while simultaneously saving Lincoln.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 3,549,423 times
Has the last Lincoln Town Car also been built?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM

9,131 posts, read 17,481,249 times
It will be interesting what will fill in the void with the fleets. Some current and new options on the horizon, but I am not sure how much police departments are going to like them all. Either not roomy enough, not sturdy enough, price, etc. The Crown Vics were proven workhorses!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM

11,091 posts, read 14,142,506 times
That sucks imo...I loved this car back when I was doing LEO work and have had a few with the P.I. tune that would embarrass a lot of cars on mpg and stop light to stop light.....guess my dream of owning a reasonably priced LX Sport or Marauder(I'm well aware the Marauder has been off the new market for many moons now) with low miles just got that much more remote.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM

14,089 posts, read 25,966,258 times
With R&D, they could have developed an unibody platform with long wheelbase, short overhang, four wheel independent suspension, V6 base engine, V8 optional engine, and a minimum of 5 speed auto transmission while still being RWD.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,019,912 times
I have a bit of affection for this car now, as I use it in some of the driver training we do, some of which involves light car to car contact(PIT's and some other techniques). They get a lot of hard use and they hold up pretty well.

I tend to think though that it's time to move onto something newer and safer.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,236,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
With R&D, they could have developed an unibody platform with long wheelbase, short overhang, four wheel independent suspension, V6 base engine, V8 optional engine, and a minimum of 5 speed auto transmission while still being RWD.
Then it would be a completely different car than it is, and wouldn't have all the cost, reliability, and toughness benefits that the CV had. In other words, it would be many of the options that are available now but that the police departments don't like.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM

584 posts, read 506,306 times
I can see a retro Crown Vic from Ford 10 or 20 years from now.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 PM

4,500 posts, read 11,068,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It will be interesting what will fill in the void with the fleets. Some current and new options on the horizon, but I am not sure how much police departments are going to like them all. Either not roomy enough, not sturdy enough, price, etc. The Crown Vics were proven workhorses!
Well the Tahoe is certainly popular in the more well off precincts, our own Plano PD drives Tahoes almost exclusively (they seem to have some Crown Vics in storage that are mainly used when they need extra cars out).

Dallas and Richardson PD both have a massive fleet of Dodge Chargers, including the new one and both have a decent fleet of the Impalas as well.

I would think the new Caprice would be very competitive though, if it can compete on price, the tech and safety implemented in it is impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln