Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times

Advertisements

We have been looking a hybrids and have started to narrow our focus to the Ford C-Max Energi model. Has anyone bought one of these. What feedback can you give on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
You will never see the advertised 47mpg.
Ford C-Max MPG Reports | Fuelly

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
I haven't driven either so I don't have much to add, but I've read mostly positive reviews thus far. Here's a good video review comparing the two versions.

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Here's a good comprehensive review of the C-Max Energi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTi0hp8Guvo

Last edited by mustang84; 04-20-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
You will never see the advertised 47mpg.
Ford C-Max MPG Reports | Fuelly
Everygraystate, I've read that. Still, I'm not sure that is a deal breaker for me. I have a short commute to work, and I think I can make it mostly on electric power. The thought of not having to make the weekly gas fill up is appealing to me.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Any of the electric cars are more subject to driver input than any gas powered vehicle on the road. You can get the EPA mileage but you have to learn how to drive. Most folks consider themselves good drivers because they haven't had a wreck in years and they're able to keep a car out of the ditches. With any hybrid, you'll need to know how to do more than that to get the mileage. The Ford will go about 20 miles before the charging engine comes on. If you're open to suggestions, the Volt, properly driven, can go about 40 miles before the charging engine comes on. For most folks with short drives, the Volt makes the best sense as you could go a long time before the charging engine comes on if you keep it charged from the wall charger. Neither are great candidates for someone that is an apartment dweller as there is no charging station. I'd suggest driving both. You may find that a hybrid is not a good choice for you. They certainly are not for everybody. Consider your winter weather too and ask how the cars perform in snow/ice.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
While the inflated mileage ratings may not be a dealbreaker, it would of course behoove a potential buyer to take it into account when doing the math to determine what is the best route to take. If most of your commute will be done in electric-only mode, then it may not matter much anyway.

Even so, with the possible exception of the Volt -- and only if you lease it -- the numbers don't really work in favor of electrics or plug-in hybrids. (Another exception would be the Tesla Model S, but only because it competes in such a high-end niche.) If your aim is to not use gasoline at all or extremely rarely, or if you just like the technology and you want to be an early adopter, then an electric or plug-in hybrid can work for you. But understand that you're going to pay a high price up front that you may never recover. If you just want to save on energy costs, you are probably better off getting a conventional hybrid; if you're looking to save on overall ownership costs, then an entry-level compact is a better bet.

Another factor to consider is the climate where you live. Cold weather wreaks havoc on battery range.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the input. I live in North Carolina where the winters are mild. My garage has an outlet, so daily charging shouldn't be an issue. My office building offers preferred parking for hybrids - a "green friendly" community. My last kid just left for college, so downsizing works for us. Our goal would be a three year lease just to test the waters.
We should know by the end of the lease if we like it, and wouldn't be stuck with old technology. That's my thought process...

Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
We test drove the C-max Energi and it was a bit more spritely than our current 6-year old hybrid. We probably would've bought one if the cargo space wasn't so ridiculously tiny.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Well, I did it. Marched down to the Ford dealership and put in an order for a ruby red one. Looks like we might be waiting a while. Estimating 8-10 weeks on the special order. Guess I'll be the guinea pig and let you know my experience with the C-Max Energi. Stay tuned for more...

Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Still waiting for my new C-Max to be put into production...hmmm...this is taking longer than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln