Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 05:30 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Make it a 2 door with a 400hp EV version and i am in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 09:05 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Maverick is about the same amount of truck as a 4-door F150.
Really?

Old 12-21-2022, 03:28 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
We'd been eyeing a base model hybrid to replace my partners Nissan Versa. It would fit the bill for our needs, and allow me to pickup the occasional sheet of plywood/aluminum/lumber or similar without having to breakout the 1-ton V-10 gas toilet. Unfortunately the "MSRP" of about $23K has become $33K for a used 2022 due to dealers gouging for them and all the pre-orders for 23' sold out in a week.
With these being made in Mexico, I have concerns about quality. My F-350 was made in Kentucky and it's been a solid truck, but I specifically avoided the "M" factory code when I was truck shopping because they've been known to have many more issues than the Kentucky or Canada made trucks. All this put together has us simply waiting for prices to come down and production to increase, and/or go with a Toyota because a $33K Toyota > $33K ford.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 12-21-2022 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 07:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Based on last year, when do you expect the ordering window for 2024 will be?

Old 03-30-2023, 08:28 PM

21,832 posts, read 25,102,289 times
September based on 2023 order week.

I think 2024 won't be as bad. Ford didn't really want to make any Mavericks for 2022 and 2023 as they took away from making a 70k F150. Those are starting to return to more normal inventory levels though.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:13 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Ford didn't really want to make any Mavericks for 2022 and 2023 as they took away from making a 70k F150.
Because they're made on the same assembly line with the same parts? That's not how manufacturing works...at all.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Because they're made on the same assembly line with the same parts? That's not how manufacturing works...at all.
Yup, they've retooled most of the lines that used to make CD/C platform vehicles like the Focus, Maverick, Escape to make more F-series, Explorers, and Transits. It'll probably be more like 2025 and not 2024. The new EV capacity should begin to come online by then and they might retool some of the old lines back to doing C platform production. They definitely won't do it before.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yup, they've retooled most of the lines that used to make CD/C platform vehicles like the Focus, Maverick, Escape to make more F-series, Explorers, and Transits. It'll probably be more like 2025 and not 2024. The new EV capacity should begin to come online by then and they might retool some of the old lines back to doing C platform production. They definitely won't do it before.
You don't need to use the years as a qualifier, then. (Also, no, they haven't, and I will demonstrate that in a second.)

Ford generally doesn't want to have Mavericks cannibalize lower-end F-150 sales as the margins on Mavericks are much lower (rumored to be negative on hybrids), so that would have factored into the initial volume calls (I ought to know - I used to call volumes for half of Ford's lineup for a couple of years and was still in that role when the first Mav volumes were conceived), but it's got nothing to do with Ford not wanting to make more Mavs specifically in 2022 and 2023. Moreover, the Maverick itself is and was only ever going to be made in Hermosillo (replacing, effectively, the Fusion). So this mythical retooling of a would-be Maverick assembly line in favor of F-series was never a thing.

Focus was made on the C1 platform at MAP, which was retooled to make Rangers and Broncos, not Explorers, F-series or Transits. Fiesta was made in Cuatitlan on the global B-car platform - retooled to make Mach Es. These are the only two occurrences where Ford has supplanted a smaller car (on a different platform from the current small car platform, to boot) with a larger one.

Maverick, as I said, is, was and was always going to be strictly a Hermosillo vehicle.
Escapes are made in Louisville, which has nothing to do with the bigger vehicles, either.
Explorers are made in Chicago, same thing.
Transits are made in Kansas City, a plant which also makes F-150s.
F-150s are made in KC and Dearborn and have been made there since 1957 and 1948, respectively.

I sincerely doubt Ford will go back to making more smaller vehicles than before once the new EV plants come online. That's not where the American auto industry is heading.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 04-07-2023 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-07-2023, 09:56 PM

Yup. Ford Moved the cheap C platform stuff to the old plant from KC where they used to make it when they retooled the KC plant to build F-series.

The retool of old ICE lines would be more likely to start with leftover replaced models Ford hasn't bothered with updating for the US market like the Ford Edge and Nautilus. The new ones are all C2. But they're pretty much sales irrelevant for the US market so Ford may just entirely discontinue both products and retool those lines to make more economy cars. On the other hand it might not be worthwhile and they'll just close the plants down entirely.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yup. Ford Moved the cheap C platform stuff to the old plant from KC where they used to make it when they retooled the KC plant to build F-series.
There has literally never been a single C platform car assembled at KC. The old Escape and Contour (both CD) were the closest, but I have no idea what any of that has to do with the Maverick.
Quote:
The retool of old ICE lines would be more likely to start with leftover replaced models Ford hasn't bothered with updating for the US market like the Ford Edge and Nautilus. The new ones are all C2. But they're pretty much sales irrelevant for the US market so Ford may just entirely discontinue both products and retool those lines to make more economy cars. On the other hand it might not be worthwhile and they'll just close the plants down entirely.
Again, I have no idea what this has to do with 2022 and 2023 Maverick sales vis-a-vis F-150s, but sure, let's talk about that. The Edge has felt like it wasn't long for this world for half a decade now and, I believe, it's not getting a next generation in the States. Same with its badge brother, Nautilus. They're made in Oakville (and are not C2 cars). They're made in Oakville. No idea what's in store for that plant, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it shuttered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln