Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen the car in person yet, but I've been reading up on it and thought it might be a possibility when we replace one of our cars next year. Then I saw the weight in the specs. A shade over 4,000 pounds!

That seems awfully heavy to me. My current car, '03 Nissan Maxima has a curb weight of 3220 and my last "working" car was an 2000 Crown Vic which weighed about 3950.

What the heck did Ford do to bulk up the Taurus. It's not "body on frame", it doesn't have the heavy V-8 that my Crown Vic had. I thought car mfgrs were on a "weight loss" program as a way to improve mileage but this seems really odd to me.

Anyone got any input. I know there are at least one other Taurus thread going but I thought this specific item needed covering.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
If you haven't seen the new Taurus in person, it has evolved into a full-size car unlike the '06 & earlier ones. This evolution started with the 2005 Five Hundred in order to replace the aging Crown Vic. Your Maxima is more of a midsize. I drive a Lincoln LS and parked it near a Taurus at the dealership, and it dwarfs my car even though the LS has a long wheelbase. The height of the rear trunk is probably a good 4-6 inches taller than my trunk.

The new Taurus actually has more interior space than the Crown Vic, but it's not as long since it is packaged more efficiently. Plus, all the sound insulation and safety equipment have added pounds, but have also made it one of the quietest and safest cars on the road.

If you're looking for something similar size to your Maxima, you should probably be looking at a Fusion or something along those lines.

Look how small Mark Fields is compared to the Taurus

Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I cannot stand the new Taurus because the back end doesn't match the front end stylewise. It looks like they tacked on the rear end of a Chrysler Sebring.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
The new Taurus has more interior space than your old Crown Vic if that gives you an idea of size, and its something like an 800% stiffer chassis. Add new safety features like side impact beams (heavy steel), stability control, more airbags, laminated glass, and a plusher interior, and you get an idea how much has changed for a new Taurus to weigh only a few hundred pounds more than the Crown Vic.

Full size cars (and mid-size German cars) just weigh two tons anymore - its the new standard, just like 1.5 tons was back in 1990. The cars are larger and contain more stuff, so they weigh more.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The new Taurus has more interior space than your old Crown Vic if that gives you an idea of size, and its something like an 800% stiffer chassis. Add new safety features like side impact beams (heavy steel), stability control, more airbags, laminated glass, and a plusher interior, and you get an idea how much has changed for a new Taurus to weigh only a few hundred pounds more than the Crown Vic.

Full size cars (and mid-size German cars) just weigh two tons anymore - its the new standard, just like 1.5 tons was back in 1990. The cars are larger and contain more stuff, so they weigh more.
Every car made in the past 20 years or so has had heavy steel side impact beams. They aren't "new" to any current vehicle.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I haven't seen the car in person yet, but I've been reading up on it and thought it might be a possibility when we replace one of our cars next year. Then I saw the weight in the specs. A shade over 4,000 pounds!

That seems awfully heavy to me. My current car, '03 Nissan Maxima has a curb weight of 3220 and my last "working" car was an 2000 Crown Vic which weighed about 3950.

What the heck did Ford do to bulk up the Taurus. It's not "body on frame", it doesn't have the heavy V-8 that my Crown Vic had. I thought car mfgrs were on a "weight loss" program as a way to improve mileage but this seems really odd to me.

Anyone got any input. I know there are at least one other Taurus thread going but I thought this specific item needed covering.

golfgod
I don't think the all aluminum 4.6 liter V-8 is all that heavy in the crown vic. I mean with all the piping and intercoolers the twin turbo 6 should weight the same as a small V-8 in the Taurus SHO.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
The 2-valve 4.6L in the Vic is an iron block last I checked. About a 600 LB engine.

Unless something changed, it's the DOHC 4.6L in the Cobra and maybe the Lightning 5.4L that's all-aluminum.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod
I was about to question you on the weight of a Crown Vic until I went and looked it up! I cannot believe they are that light!!!!

Anyways concerning the Taurus... I was pulling up to a light with a driver in the lane left to me. I saw the car but didnt really give it much attention and just dismissed it as some brand new expensive luxury car... I then looked over to check it out and I was really impressed with how it looked then looked down at the wheels to see if there was an emblem on them (I was directly on the side)... by that point the vehicle was in motion again. He passed me up and I saw "Taurus" on the back... couldn't believe it!!!

Its a sharp looking car and I really hate the looks of many new cars.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I like the front end styling but the rear is just terrible.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I don't think the all aluminum 4.6 liter V-8 is all that heavy in the crown vic. I mean with all the piping and intercoolers the twin turbo 6 should weight the same as a small V-8 in the Taurus SHO.
You are right my best friend owns a 03 Mach 1 with DOHV 4 valve 4.6 and I was thinking of his car when I wrote it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln