U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM

113 posts, read 644,234 times

Advertisements

One big reason is that I want a 3rd car, a cheap SUV with power. It is my brothers so I know where it has been. Wants $1500.

Runs fine. Typical interior wear and undercarridge rust.

Am I kidding myself thinking that I can buy this, kill the rust underneath with a grinder & seal it, clean up the interior, get it tuned and checked and I will be good for another 50-75k miles?

I like to work on projects and I would like to work on the cosmetics. No problem spending $ 500-1000 on new carpet, dash parts, leather seat covers, etc just to get it looking as nice as possible. Maybe even get a basic paint job on it for another $ 800 from ( Forgive me) Maaco.

Am I putting too much money or thought into this and I should get something newer for a few $$ more?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM

510 posts, read 2,070,547 times
That is a lot of miles, but if the truck was well taken care of and the oil was changed every 3000 miles and the truck wasnt abused, you may be able to get another 50k out of it. I wouldnt put any money into it. Just clean up the interior, fix the rust your self and make sure it runs good...and you should be fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM

3,949 posts, read 10,298,439 times
depending on where you live: if it has 4wd ( i'd assume so ) and it works; it's worth 1500. But if it's only being purchased for a spare ride, why dump $$ into it? As long as it runs out well, and there are NO issues underneath ( safety wise ), i'd say clean it and leave rest alone. If you can afford to put a few thousand into this one, then why not buy something in better condition to begin with, project or not?
just my .02

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM

That is what I am wondering. Sure I can get something a bit better for $ 3000 ish... but will it have the same problems?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,463,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoFL View Post
One big reason is that I want a 3rd car, a cheap SUV with power. It is my brothers so I know where it has been. Wants $1500.

Runs fine. Typical interior wear and undercarridge rust.

Am I kidding myself thinking that I can buy this, kill the rust underneath with a grinder & seal it, clean up the interior, get it tuned and checked and I will be good for another 50-75k miles?

I like to work on projects and I would like to work on the cosmetics. No problem spending $ 500-1000 on new carpet, dash parts, leather seat covers, etc just to get it looking as nice as possible. Maybe even get a basic paint job on it for another $ 800 from ( Forgive me) Maaco.

Am I putting too much money or thought into this and I should get something newer for a few $$ more?

Thanks!
You're kidding yourself to think that you can kill the rust. Sorry to be a downer, but unless you cut out the affected areas, have no metal welded in, seal & repaint it, it's only a matter of a SHORT period of time before the rust is busting through the paint.

That said... If it's a good runner, and a solid 4x4, you're going to have a hard time going too far wrong for $1500. Even if the engine blew up 6 months from now you could probably get $700-$800 out of it.

If this was my decision (which it obviously is not), I'd buy it, clean it up good, cover the rusted areas with POR-15, and drive the beast. It is eventually going to rust out and wear out. But it's 10-years old, and cheap. So why does it really matter?

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 AM

14,310 posts, read 21,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're kidding yourself to think that you can kill the rust. Sorry to be a downer, but unless you cut out the affected areas, have no metal welded in, seal & repaint it, it's only a matter of a SHORT period of time before the rust is busting through the paint.
That's not totally true. There is a product called POR-15 that is very popular with old school car restorers. It's done wonders on rusted underbodies and frames.

EDIT: I'm a total idiot. You mentioned the same product later in your post.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,463,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's not totally true. There is a product called POR-15 that is very popular with old school car restorers. It's done wonders on rusted underbodies and frames.

EDIT: I'm a total idiot. You mentioned the same product later in your post.
Too funny!

Actually, I've used POR-15 quite a bit. And while there are some applications where it's terrific, I've found that - for the most part - once your body panels start rusting, the problem is far deeper than just surface.

Anywhoo... Thanks for the laugh with the edit!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM

16,140 posts, read 52,827,997 times
Your idea of trying to fix the truck up cosmetically, particularly if you are moving from NH to Florida, is, pardon my French, insane. A MAACO paint job would just be another red flag that the truck has body problems.

Although, as a more or less disposable vehicle to use primarily for the move, it might make sense.

Between the rust, the Expedition's prodigous thirst, and gas headed above $3/gallon, there are simply better cars out there to make into/use for a cosmetically presentable ride.

I have seen well-kept (mechanically) vehicles with 180K that seem to be ready for 180K more, I have seen neglected cars that have been "ridden hard and put away wet" with 180K that are about ready for the boneyard.

BTW from what I have read, Eastwood's version of POR-15 is somewhat better. Putting some of this stuff on the rusty undercarriage might be worthwhile, but I wouldn't do more than that.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM

to clarify, the rust is on the under side, frame, etc. Not on the body that I can see. No exterior rust.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM

16,140 posts, read 52,827,997 times
Dude, seriously, if it's seen 10 NH winters, there is a lot of rust you can see, and a lot of rust you can't see, but, as I sit on my butt 4 time zones away from you, I can say with confidence that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow, and that truck is full of rust. The lower door panels, fenders, etc. have all sorts of rust on the inside, soon to appear as bubbles in the paint. Rust never sleeps.

Salt is evil.

You will see when you get down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln