Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

Need a few opinions from the truck owners out there.

My old man is purchasing a new heavy-duty truck and because he hates researching vehicles, I always seem to get the call. I'm not a huge truck expert by any means but from what I've heard, Ford has a slight redesign for their 2011 F-250/F-350 trucks. I know they built a new 6.7L diesel in-house which is supposed to be quite a bit more reliable as well as more fuel efficient.

This truck is basically going to be the beater on his farm, it has to withstand quite a bit of abuse. He just sold a 2003 F-350 with 200K+ miles on it and this is going to be the replacement. Here's the 2010 he was looking at:
2010 FORD F350 LARIAT CREWCAB 4X4 Pickup - Full Size For Sale | Sioux Falls South Dakota (http://siouxfallsford.com/show.aspx?vid=1481723 - broken link)

The truck with routinely be towing grain trailers that can weigh 10,000+ lbs as well as payloads of seed bags weighing 3500+ lbs.

He doesn't know how to run a computer...at all...so I'm trying to figure out if the 2011 F-350 is worth waiting a month or two for. Big enough changes that would make the wait beneficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I am hearing lot of good thing from magazines about the new 6.7 but it will be a first run production and they tend to have a few bugs. If your friend can wait till mid-year for them to work out the bugs it should be good but if you need a new truck soon and can't wait the 6.4 power stroke should be a good buy.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I'd be concerned with longevity with either engine. However, I suspect the new 6.7 will be a solid performer with as much time as Ford is touting to have spent in the engineering process.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
I would get the 2011 but I'd wait until after winter. Most of the bugs should be exposed by then.

If he just wants a beater farm truck, maybe he should buy a Ram

Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I'm not following the logic of buying a brand new truck for a farm beater, but have to agree that I'd let the new in-house Ford Diesel engine prove itself for at the very least several months before buying it. I recall the Power Strokes had some teething problems when they first came out.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
Tell him to get one with the v10 and 4.30 ratio gears and be done with it. I don't know how much longer they will use the v10, but that drivetrain is the best you can get as far as these new pickups go. Woodhouse Ford in Blair Nebraska usually has many heavy duty v10 powered trucks for sale.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I would get the 2011 but I'd wait until after winter. Most of the bugs should be exposed by then.

If he just wants a beater farm truck, maybe he should buy a Ram
Well the thing is he needs it now, they're starting planting season back in Iowa and he doesn't like to use his F-150 for hauling seed and pulling heavy loads.

The only reason he sold his old Super Duty was because the transmission was getting pretty bad.

As far as the Ram...nobody uses them around there because they really don't stand the test of time. Very poor trucks for heavy usage, much more a show truck than a true work truck.

Quote:
I'm not following the logic of buying a brand new truck for a farm beater, but have to agree that I'd let the new in-house Ford Diesel engine prove itself for at the very least several months before buying it. I recall the Power Strokes had some teething problems when they first came out.
He drives his work trucks until they die, it isn't like he trades them off like he does his daily driver. He also gets some sort of tax write-off when he purchases new equipment for the farm which actually saves him more than buying used would. I don't understand it all, I was raised on a farm but I'm definitely not a "farmboy".

The only engine that really had quite a few problems were the early 6.0L, it was FULL of bugs. I really think Ford would make sure to test the hell out of the 6.7L, the super-duty truck market is massive and they would NOT want to screw it up.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Tell him to get one with the v10 and 4.30 ratio gears and be done with it. I don't know how much longer they will use the v10, but that drivetrain is the best you can get as far as these new pickups go. Woodhouse Ford in Blair Nebraska usually has many heavy duty v10 powered trucks for sale.
Don't think papa would go for the V10 at all, always has used diesel in his work trucks. Isn't the towing and hauling capacity quite limited when using a V10 versus a diesel engine? Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
hmm how is the used market in your area? maybe he could find a decent 99-03 F350 in great condition with the 7.3 powerstroke with low miles that would be a cheaper route to take and if the new 6.7 motor turns out to be great he could use it for trade after planting season.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm how is the used market in your area? maybe he could find a decent 99-03 F350 in great condition with the 7.3 powerstroke with low miles that would be a cheaper route to take and if the new 6.7 motor turns out to be great he could use it for trade after planting season.
That actually isn't a half bad idea! Didn't really think about that, will have to call him tomorrow and see what he thinks!

I couldn't tell you how the used market is back in Iowa, I don't have a clue. Most DRW F-350's usually rack up the miles in any area though, they are usually workhorses rather than a personal vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln