Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM

592 posts, read 2,187,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitZ3R0 View Post
Hello All,
Very worried I'm going to be sitting here for 4 months just to get shut down for the bid.
That's very likely if the offer is well below bank's #, or you may get a counteroffer.

My recent shortsale took 3.5 months, 3 months of waiting involving weekly calls to chase up the realtor (who was chasing up the bank). Then it was a mad dash to close since the damn bank only gave us <4 weeks to close. Ended up doing all cash since there was no time to go through the mortgage process in this climate.

My offer was 20% below true market value, and the accepted price was 10% LESS than my offer price (of course i didnt complain heh). So ended up getting a nice unit at 30% below market, rented out 2 days after i closed.

So there are good deals to be had with shortsale, but it needs to satisfy a few criteria first to worth your time:

1) The realistic "full offer" price needs to be at least 10%+ below true market

2) The shortsale must only have 1 lien (1 loan) against it, if it has more than 1 just walk away, the listing agent can tell you that info.

3) The listing agent (the one who will be dealing with the bank) must be experienced at shortsale, ask them if the seller has the distress package ready to go, which bank is the lien holder, and how much money is owed to the bank on the seller's mortgage. If the realtor doesnt have a clue, dont bother.

4) Your timeframe must be very flexible, <4 month wait is very good, ~6month is average.

5) Make sure you have a clause in your contract that let you walk away after x months if the deal is still not approved and you will get a full refund on the deposit.

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM

265 posts, read 952,378 times
Short Sales are going much smoother than they had in the past. If the bank is participating in the HAFA program (not all banks are participating) than they are required to give an approval/denial within 30 days of reciept of the hardship. Many banks are allowing listing agents to provide the short sale package prior to having a contract which helps get things moving quicker.

We have been very successful at closing short sales but it does depend on the banks involved. It is extremely important to have a listing agent on the property that is well versed in short sales. Also a buyers agent that is familiar with short sales is extremely important so they can make sure that you as the buyer understands the entire process. Communication is key!

There are still situations where surprises pop up and things do not go through after a buyer/seller has waited a significant amount of time or the home goes into foreclosure anyway.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM

38 posts, read 120,466 times
Just closed on mine. Put my bid in July of 2010 and closed December 2010. For us, it was worth the wait. I didn't get a phenomenal deal off the price, but I did get the house of my dreams.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
I put a bid on a short sale back in November. I bid around $9K under list price plus asked for closing costs (list price had already been reduced a few times but no takers). Supposedly there was another offer right after mine which I didn't really believe, so I only increased my offer by $2K and the sellers accepted mine. This led me to believe I was being lied to about the 2nd offer but that's another story.

I thought it was a sure thing, and only waited 2 weeks before hearing anything from the bank. The bank had it appraised and the appraisal came back much higher than my offer so the bank would not approve the sale. Their response was that they would get more money if it went into foreclosure since they had insurance for foreclosures. They wanted $20K more than I offered (although I never got an official counteroffer).

It wasn't worth it to me, so I walked. The house is still for sale at a higher list price. I'm now under contract on a different house - a foreclosure. For this one I got a response from that bank in 24 hours.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM

27 posts, read 37,218 times
We put an offer in Nov 15th, accepted by the seller Nov 17th sent to the bank and we are still waiting. Apparently the bank sent an appraiser out to the property a couple weeks ago but there has been no word from the bank or the appraiser. The house is still listed as active, regular sale. We are just waiting.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
How do you know when the sellers submit your offer (along with other short sell application material) to the bank?

Do you just take their word or is it reasonable to tell them to show a proof of receipt from the bank?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
We messed with short sales and REO's but in the end we bought the house that we really liked and it was a regular sale. Just too much things going on from my experience. It's definitely not for everyone.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
How do you know when the sellers submit your offer (along with other short sell application material) to the bank?

Do you just take their word or is it reasonable to tell them to show a proof of receipt from the bank?
The listing agent(seller) will tell you, of course if you dont trust them you can ask for evidence (fax receipt etc..) the paperwork has been submitted. But that usually doesn't go too well with the agent, and most times they have no reason to lie to you, so word of mouth from the agent is usually good enough for me.

hence the importance of finding a good experienced agent for shortsale, as oppose to regular deals where they serve mostly as a telephone between you and the seller.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
mouth from the agent is usually good enough for me. ... hence the importance of finding a good experienced agent for shortsale, as oppose to regular deals where they serve mostly as a telephone between you and the seller.
I'm ok with my agent (Buyer Agent) as she is indeed just a go between and there really isn't anything she can do beside making the emails and phone calls as I ask.

However, the seller's agent (who I have no control over) hardly answers anything and when he does, in short bursts, not providing any details, what's going on, etc. It has taken 2 weeks just to accept my offer, and they missed signing 1 doc. So it's like pulling teeth to get him to get me the missing signature and to tell us whether the sellers have prepared the docs for short sale application, and even what their attorney's name/phone is.... All this just says to me that I can't trust his word (which hasn't been forthcoming anyway).

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM

254 posts, read 590,708 times
I got mine on August, I had to wait around 2 months... but all the time I felt things were moving along... slowly but moving, I've heard horror stories but in our case things were very smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs