Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times

Advertisements

In California, yes. Not in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Not in Idaho either. If our prices dropped another $100k, they'd just about be paying people to take the houses.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
That's unconscionable to ask of someone buying a home. Your license should be shredded and flushed down a toilet.
Actually, you should re-read the thread. Mr. Jacquish is one of the most knowledgeable and thoughtful agents I've had a discussion with. I've met a lot of agents with many different levels of knowledge and I have the utmost respect for Mike. He never recommended it, but the OP wanted to know what sort of offer the bank wants. Real estate would be better off if we had more people like Mike in it.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Anyhow, I chose to use the listing agent because I figured if she stood to make double the commission that may be some extra incentive to get the deal done.
Good thing you are comfortable with dual agency.......did you also use her recommended lender and the bank's closing attorney? Who was on your side?
>

>
To the OP, I agree, the hell with foreclosures. Short sales should suit you fine.

Seriously, eliminating foreclosures really narrows your selection. It sounds like your agent hasn't been able to convey the tone of today's market. The one theme of all the replies is your expectations were not realistic. I say "were" because I think you are getting it now.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Morally/ethically wrong?" "Actively encourage...?"

WHOA.......... Find a hitchin' post for the high horse. I encouraged nothing, would not encourage that tack, and in no way suggested that that is the best way to buy property, but just the most aggressive way to offer.
But, speaking in an academic sense, the fact is, fewer contingencies and wrinkles make a stronger offer.
Yes, if you're only interested in making a sale.

Dishonesty from "real estate professionals" (loosely defined), all in the name of making a sale ruined this industry. Sometimes you have to walk away, instead of putting your client in the fire just so you can make a commission.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
That's fine and dandy Brandon Hoffman, I'm glad you and Mike have a great relationship. I hope it grows closer and warmer as the years pass.

That being said, the advice he offered is bordering on illegal. It's poor, poor advice.
It wasn't advice. He answered a question.

Quote:
Yes, if you're only interested in making a sale.

Dishonesty from "real estate professionals" (loosely defined), all in the name of making a sale. Sometimes you have to walk away, instead of putting your client in the fire just so you can make a commission.
Lord.

You do realize that people do have the opportunity to inspect a property BEFORE making an offer, don't you?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
That's fine and dandy Brandon Hoffman, I'm glad you and Mike have a great relationship. I hope it grows closer and warmer as the years pass.

That being said, the advice he offered is bordering on illegal. It's poor, poor advice.
I did not offer advice. I did not recommend any action that would be harmful to anyone.
I merely stated fact.

Is it inaccurate to say that an offer devoid of contingencies is stronger in the eyes of a seller than an offer full of contingencies?
I think not.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 08-22-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I did not offer advice. I did not recommend any action that would be harmful to anyone.
I merely stated fact.

Is it inaccurate to say that an offer devoid of contingencies is stronger in the eyes of a seller than an offer full of contingencies?
I think not.

The level of cognitive function required to read the thread and to easily and clearly comprehend that I did not offer advice is probably below that which would qualify one to walk amongst us without a guardian or keeper.

You DID in fact imply that buyers with low risk tolerances should advoid foreclosures directly after you offered advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
Another fact...
There are enough issues and compromises with so many foreclosures; title, condition, deed, that buyers with low risk tolerance should consider buying a retail home, not one from the scratch-and-dent department.
I don't know about you, maybe it's just me and my lack of understanding, but that sounds like you saying people who don't want to deal with skipping contingencies should just not buy REOs, because they're not "risky" enough.

Last edited by Marka; 08-22-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It wasn't advice. He answered a question.

Lord.

You do realize that people do have the opportunity to inspect a property BEFORE making an offer, don't you?

Being a broker, I have sold numerous properties, 92 deals closed last year in three different metro areas across the country.
I'm well aware of what inspection contingencies are. I'm also well aware of the education it takes to become a "realtor" and the average education of most "buyers". Point being, it's not very high, and this lack of education of both sides has lead to this industry having a stinky reputation. The only way to fix this is to give people honest advice that doesn't involve them emptying their bank account into a broken down shack just so we can make some cheese off the top.

Last edited by Marka; 08-22-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Wow. I didn't realize it was the Mike & Mr. Fantasticinhisownhead board. My mistake.

You say you're aware of so much and yet, a bit of reading comprehension seems to escape you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm
It's just you.
Okay, maybe you two extremely well read and intelligent fellows can interpret what exactly Mike is saying in this quoted line from his actual follow up post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
Another fact...
There are enough issues and compromises with so many foreclosures; title, condition, deed, that buyers with low risk tolerance should consider buying a retail home, not one from the scratch-and-dent department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs