Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

I am so annoyed. The agent called this morning and canceled on me. She made some lame excuse about just getting back from a trip and it would "just not work" for her. She said she so much to do. The more she talked the lamer it sounded which annoyed me even more.

She was the one that suggested today. I would NEVER back out on a client unless I had a really good reason (death, illness, emergency, etc.). Isn't she the one that is trying to sell me a house? So you know she sounds young and I am thinking she is the daughter of the listing agent (same last name). She wanted to reschedule for tomorrow at 5:00 which would not work for us. I told her we are very busy and I would have to get back to her. I am considering calling my friends mother now to have her show us the house instead. I would have used her originally but she is semi-retired, on vacation right now and I am not sure how serious we really are. Or should I give this agent the benefit of the doubt and just reschedule? The problem is my wife is having doubts and this just is adding to them (you know, it was fate). What would you do? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I would make it very clear what your expectations are and that it would not be acceptable again to have her cancel on you. Did you sign a contract with the agent? If not I would possibly consider switching anyway.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 PM

No, I never even met her. I contacted the listnig agent through email and she responded. She wanted me to sign with her but I was reluctant since I did not want to be tied to one agent. She said I could sign one just for this house so I agreed. Still can't decide if I should go with her. Jay

Old 09-06-2010, 07:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
So you are not going to have a buyer's agent?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM

Normally I would have a buyer's agent using my friends mother. She is away right now and I did not want to wait for her to get back. Maybe now I will. Or I could call another agent that I met on this forum that answered some questions I had on another house I considered. She though is not in this area. I am not sure what I am going to do now. Any suggestions? Jay

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
If your friend's mom does not service that area, maybe she is reachable and can make a referral for you. Or reach out to a C-D poster in that area for assistance.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

My friends mother does service this area but she is away on vacation. I did not want to wait on this because it is a good deal (or so it seems). I may wait now but am anxious to see the place. On the outside it is very nice. Who knows what the inside would be like though. Jay

Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Hopefully, someone is looking out for her business while she is away.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Or I could call another agent that I met on this forum that answered some questions I had on another house I considered. She though is not in this area. I am not sure what I am going to do now. Any suggestions? Jay
There are 2 practicing agents on the CT board that seem to know their stuff, and i don't think either one is very far from the house that you're considering. The commision split on a 450K property, while not huge, is nothing to sneeze at either.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM

I drove by the house today and there were some workers there "winterizing" the water system. I was able to walk around on the first floor and outside before the foreman asked us to leave.

The place does need some loving care. Outside, the landscaping could use a trim and the lawn needs watering. The trim on the house is peeling and there is some wood rot (good thing I have a good carpenter). The first floor has beautiful wood trim and cabinets but the place has a musty smell. The kitchen countertops (possibly Corian?)are all cracked and appear to have been smashed (why do people do things like this?). All of the appliances appear to be original and in need of replacing. The first floor has all wood floors and they appeared to be in good shape. The foreman did say the water system (well) was good and the lawn's sprinkler system worked well. From what he saw he said the house was well built. The builder was highly respected and this was a custom home.

I wish I was able to see upstairs and what was needed there. I also assume that the hot water heater and the A/C and furnace are original and will need replacement or some work. Originally I was thinking I would need $50,000 to bring it up to speed but now I am thinking more like $75,000. It is a big house (3,800 s.f. with 3 car garage). Painting the outside alone will cost a fortune. Still at the price it is being offered your could easily make twice that back. Now I just have to decide if it is worth the effort. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs