Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Not being able to sell your home to go where the jobs are IS a legitimate hardship in my book.
Not if they can rent this property, which they clearly can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
There is another, large reason not to do a strategic default. If the house sells at auction for less than is owed the holder of the deficiency has up to 20 years to recoup that deficency. It is standard practice at the current time to not persue these deficiencies. The holders of this debt are making stategic plans of their own. They are waiting for the economy to improve, along with the financial situation of the debtors, before proceeding with court action. This is legal in many states and you should consult with an attorney to see what the exact timeline is in MD.

This I DO know. A long time friend of mine that I've known since elementary school got a phone call last year from a collection agency. He had bought a car in 1995 and it ended up being repossessed after a couple of months. He had completely forgotten about the car but the collection agency hadn't. This occurred in MD.

House Is Gone but the Debt Lives On - WSJ.com

Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is another, large reason not to do a strategic default. If the house sells at auction for less than is owed the holder of the deficiency has up to 20 years to recoup that deficency. It is standard practice at the current time to not persue these deficiencies. The holders of this debt are making stategic plans of their own. They are waiting for the economy to improve, along with the financial situation of the debtors, before proceeding with court action. This is legal in many states and you should consult with an attorney to see what the exact timeline is in MD.

This I DO know. A long time friend of mine that I've known since elementary school got a phone call last year from a collection agency. He had bought a car in 1995 and it ended up being repossessed after a couple of months. He had completely forgotten about the car but the collection agency hadn't. This occurred in MD.

House Is Gone but the Debt Lives On - WSJ.com
Yes. Never "walk away". Financially savvy people know this.

Walking away is just a media term and applies in non recourse states like California. But those in recourse states still strategically default but always negotiate with this lender for a short sell so they aren't liable for any further amount.

People in recourse states these day stratetically choose not to pay. Than ramp up these revolving debt (lease expensive cars etc) to show the banks they have more money going out than in.

If all else fails, put as much money into your retirement account as possible and than declare BK.

There are many ways to "walk away" and not be liable for future debt.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

In Maryland, a deficiency judgment is good for 12 years if the note, deed of trust or mortgage was signed "under seal." Otherwise, the foreclosure statute limits the time to 3 years. The statute of limitations varies widely among states - from a few months to years.

Hope your friend didn't pay it. The debt was probably barred by the SOL but collectors routinely rely on the debtor's ignorance and try to collect, anyway.
BTW, the OP is probably long gone. Old post.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not if they can rent this property, which they clearly can do.

Citimortgage 1st and Greentree 2nd accepted that reason to approve my shortsale. How many people can afford to RENT a $5400/month house in a bedroom community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs