Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 PM

470 posts, read 1,500,271 times

Advertisements

You are certainly allowed an inspection. Your Realtor needs to make sure that there is either an inspection contingency period, or, as here in GA, a due diligence period. As-Is just means that they are not going to make any repairs. However, as as been written in previous responses, you can sometimes get repairs. You need to make sure that in any offer you have an inspection or due diligence period. The majority of REO's that I have dealt with do provide for a due diligence period in their special contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
You are certainly allowed an inspection. Your Realtor needs to make sure that there is either an inspection contingency period, or, as here in GA, a due diligence period. As-Is just means that they are not going to make any repairs. However, as as been written in previous responses, you can sometimes get repairs. You need to make sure that in any offer you have an inspection or due diligence period. The majority of REO's that I have dealt with do provide for a due diligence period in their special contracts.
I was told by the Realtor there will be a due diligence period in the contract that will be sent back from the seller. But I haven't seen it. Don't know for sure there will be one. Don't know how its worded. Don't know if it gives enough time for an inspection. and don't know what the back out conditions are. So I want my own in the offer. Is that so troublesome? The Realtor seams to think so.
Having started the process with this Realtor, I am under the impression that I cant just eject. If I want to pursue this home I'm stuck with this Realtor. True or false.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:50 AM

113 posts, read 193,230 times
i don't understand why you people want to dispute a property that is sold "as is". It's sold the way it is, the way you see it, the way it smells, the way it looks, the way your mother-in-law hates it. In other words, whoever owns the property put it up for sale "as is". If you don't want it then so be it. But the darn property is sold as is.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
i don't understand why you people want to dispute a property that is sold "as is". It's sold the way it is, the way you see it, the way it smells, the way it looks, the way your mother-in-law hates it. In other words, whoever owns the property put it up for sale "as is". If you don't want it then so be it. But the darn property is sold as is.
Inspections are not about disputing, they are about knowing what you are getting yourself into. The inspector may find things that the buyer did not see or does not have the knowledge to recognize as potential expensive repairs or safety/health concerns. Buyers should always get an inspection. Especially on an "As Is" property since the burden of repair will fall on the buyer.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
When you buy a property that is sold "as-is" you want to find out what the "As" is. While not quite sight-unseen, an inspector will be able to point out conditions with the property that the buyer and agent may be unable to identify on their own. Kind of like getting your trusted mechanic to help check out a used car for you before purchasing. "As-is" does not mean that you give up your rights to fully inspect the property, it just means that the seller will not warrant nor offer any repairs on the property if something is found to be less than acceptable, like a failing hvac system.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
I was told by the Realtor there will be a due diligence period in the contract that will be sent back from the seller. But I haven't seen it. Don't know for sure there will be one. Don't know how its worded. Don't know if it gives enough time for an inspection. and don't know what the back out conditions are. So I want my own in the offer. Is that so troublesome? The Realtor seams to think so.
Having started the process with this Realtor, I am under the impression that I cant just eject. If I want to pursue this home I'm stuck with this Realtor. True or false.
The due diligence period will more than likely be at least 5 days, which should usually be time to get both a home inspection and an infestation inspection completed. Unless of course the signed agreement comes back Wednesday this week. It still does not hurt to request a 10 day due diligence period.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would certainly be looking for a new agent ASAP. One that actually helps you instead of telling you things that could haunt you for years and years.

Last edited by manderly6; 11-22-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Your OP said your Realtor told you there will be no inspection, now you say he told you there will be a due diligence period (which includes the inspection). Were you just confused about the terms "inspection" and "due diligence"? Most bank addenda will include time to inspect, but you need to be careful to watch the dates so time doesn't run out.

You can put anything you want in your offer, but the contract addendum the bank will send back will override almost everything. Just be sure you review it carefully when you get it. Perhaps have an attorney review with you if you don't understand it.

Unfortunately, working with banks is not easy and can be very confusing. That is the price you pay to get a good deal. If you wanted a normal sale, then you should buy from a private owner, not a bank.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would certainly be looking for a new agent ASAP. One that actually helps you instead of telling you things that could haunt you for years and years.
I believe I will do exactly that.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Inspections are not about disputing, they are about knowing what you are getting yourself into. The inspector may find things that the buyer did not see or does not have the knowledge to recognize as potential expensive repairs or safety/health concerns. Buyers should always get an inspection. Especially on an "As Is" property since the burden of repair will fall on the buyer.
After the full inspection on a bank-owned property, if you find major issues is it possible to adjust in the formal Purchase Agreement the amount you are offering to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs