Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 PM

220 posts, read 701,646 times

Advertisements

You have to look at things locally..ie I heard San Diego had upticks in western districts..

same for Manhattan..
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/re.../04market.html

definitely not to say they're immune, but each geo has its story (or similar story but at different levels)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
For the folks that are capable of truly being rational about the "rent vs buy" decision, and understand the risks that go along with EITHER SIDE of that decisions I have nothing but respect.

The goofballs I refer to are those that can not see that even in pieces they themselves quote / link to their are OPPORTUNITES for both investors and buyers and for them to have this "renting is the ONLY WAY to STICK IT TO THE LENDERS " warped mindset I have to call them out.
There are opportunities in all markets. Just because a lucky investor can make money in this economy doesn't mean that things are all rosy and sunshine.

Quote:
Believe me there have been many periods when rents have not just increased, rental units themselves have all but impossible to find. When Silicon Valley programers pack foru and five into a three bedroom home or oildmfield workers in Houston drive daily from Louisiana becuase of NO rentals that is a situation no with a famikynwnats to face...

The economy will come back to a healthynstste andnwhenit does the emotional fools will be left out inn the cold.
Buy now or be priced out forever!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
There are opportunities in all markets. Just because a lucky investor can make money in this economy doesn't mean that things are all rosy and sunshine.

Buy now or be priced out forever!
What's lucky if someone repeatedly makes good business decisions?

Why do you always throw that "Buy now..." around on here? I never used it, I've never seen Chet use it, I haven't heard too many agents period use it?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
So, in classic fashion - you blame the folks who lost their jobs instead of the "incredibly profitable" companies? Awesome. Over 1 in 5 people are un(der)employed while companies "make" money by continuing to reduce operating costs (aka layoff and outsource)... or maybe you mean the Primary Dealers of The Fed who are being handed 10s of billions a day to keep the stock market green and line their pockets with millions in fees for doing nothing except buying AAPL and NetFlix - all so we can preserve the wealth of the richest folks via the SP500? Sure the TBTF hand outs to take a bailout are probably on your "handsomely rewarded" list. Way to take on no risk and just fall on the pillow of our tax dollars. Seriously, what a joke. These companies are not making money and profitable in the way that you insinuate AT ALL... Fundamentals?! Please.

So yeah - "faster and wider" for sure... But don't sit there and pretend it's a "robust economy". Let's fudge GDP by stacking inventories, let's believe the BLS with their UE and CPI data. What inflation, right?! I mean come on, flat screens are still cheap - who cares about the price of energy and foodstuffs. Who cares about what is happening globally. Who cares about how municipalities at every level need to raise taxes just to meet their MINIMUM debt obligations. Who needs a budget when my ETF is doing awesome! I eat ETFs for breakfast and pay more for housing... Housing is going UP!

Seriously, Bernanke has all but abandoned housing and you best hope that those GSEs keep lending through insolvency and rising interest rates. Even then the downward pricing pressure on homes is incredible.
Yep....no matter how hard anyone tries, one can not refute any of this...state/municipal bankruptcies, rising personal income taxes (what, a 67% increase in IL???) and rising property taxes to make up budget shortfalls is the new normal.

It is going to get very, very bloody very soon....more than one could ever imagine. This is the stuff only Hollywood could think up!

I just wonder when people are going to rise up and say they've had enough....or do they still don't get it?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 AM

33 posts, read 54,206 times
"Home Prices Drop Again" - Fox News

Home Prices Drop Again - FoxBusiness.com

"U.S. single-family [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]home [COLOR=blue !important]prices[/color][/color][/color] fell for a fifth straight month in November and a double-dip in home prices could be confirmed by spring, a closely watched survey said Tuesday."

"Prices have fallen 1.6% in the past year, sharper than the 1.4% predicted by economists polled by Reuters."

"Home price slump deepens" - CNN

Home prices are declining again. - Jan. 25, 2011

"November home prices continued their latest slump, falling 1% compared with October, according to the latest S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index of 20 metro markets."

"With these numbers, more analysts will be calling for a double-dip in home prices," said David Blitzer, spokesman for Standard & Poor's."

Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
So, in classic fashion - you blame the folks who lost their jobs instead of the "incredibly profitable" companies? Awesome. Over 1 in 5 people are un(der)employed while companies "make" money by continuing to reduce operating costs (aka layoff and outsource)... or maybe you mean the Primary Dealers of The Fed who are being handed 10s of billions a day to keep the stock market green and line their pockets with millions in fees for doing nothing except buying AAPL and NetFlix - all so we can preserve the wealth of the richest folks via the SP500? Sure the TBTF hand outs to take a bailout are probably on your "handsomely rewarded" list. Way to take on no risk and just fall on the pillow of our tax dollars. Seriously, what a joke. These companies are not making money and profitable in the way that you insinuate AT ALL... Fundamentals?! Please.

So yeah - "faster and wider" for sure... But don't sit there and pretend it's a "robust economy". Let's fudge GDP by stacking inventories, let's believe the BLS with their UE and CPI data. What inflation, right?! I mean come on, flat screens are still cheap - who cares about the price of energy and foodstuffs. Who cares about what is happening globally. Who cares about how municipalities at every level need to raise taxes just to meet their MINIMUM debt obligations. Who needs a budget when my ETF is doing awesome! I eat ETFs for breakfast and pay more for housing... Housing is going UP!

Seriously, Bernanke has all but abandoned housing and you best hope that those GSEs keep lending through insolvency and rising interest rates. Even then the downward pricing pressure on homes is incredible.
perosanlly it like buyig anyhtign else you buy. I don't baslme the people for buyng just as I don't thnik companies maked the choice to buy. Its lie anyhtig else;oits a risk you take an evaulated. I mnay cases that decison if made wrong by enough peopole can lead to people losinf ther jobs when the economy is effect as we have seen. Its not just limited to homes either ;loo at the amout of credit debt by mnay. Also alot fo thsoe people should never have bought a home. Ulimately i a free coutry we have chice s and many just risk toojuch or in this case foten don't even think abou tit seeign their friend etc makig out well. Theere are always ups and downs and timing ;good sense there is no substitue for. For too long governamnt has pormote home ownereship for thsoe that could afford homes also to the degreee that thery ehlp when they had no down payment;no closing cost and certainly cpouldn;t afforsd upkkeep. The government i fact boguht these moratgages knowing thsi wih Taxpayer moeny backing it.They thought of it a wealth sharing ;rememeber?Subtract these type loans and the present situation would belike the 70's recession in housing.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
To Chet Everett: I just read the entirety of this thread to date and one thing leaps out at me: For someone who keeps talking about rationality versus emotionalism, you sure do sound emotional and you use a lot of emotionally loaded language. You are hardly a disinterested party, as you have something to sell. The tobacco companies sell cigarettes; can we trust them to give us the straight scoop about health and safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs