Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM

74 posts, read 142,675 times

Advertisements

I'm the buyer in a short sale. The house was listed at $160,000, which is close to fair market value in our area (Tampa, FL). Our offer was signed off by the sellers and went to the bank at $147,000. 35 days later, the bank countered at $185,000. I was shocked! I really expected them to counter back close to listing price, which we would have paid since it's fair market value. My buyer's agent said that we would present recent sold comps (including the house next door, which closed on Dec 30th) to the bank to help prove to them that their price is too high.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is there any hope at all that the bank will agree to a fair value of $160,000? I really love the house and will pay market value, but I think that $25,000 above that is ridiculous. I wonder if they're just putting a number out there to see if we'll bite or not.

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM

165 posts, read 588,698 times
Were there multiple offers???????????? If not I'm confused by the banks counter.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You used "fair" and "bank" in the same sentence. Big whoops....

Seriously, every deal is different. The bank may just not be ready to deal.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
The bank most likely based their counter offer on the appraised value. Perhaps your idea of FMV, the appraisers, and banks don't mesh. Have your agent get more information.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM

No multiple offers- from what I understand, in Florida, once an offer is made, the house moves to "pending" status and the bank is not allowed to entertain any other offers but the one on the table. The house was on the market for 77 days before our contract was submitted. Perhaps the answer is: "there is no answer" and we'll have to wait this one out. I'm just disappointed, that's all.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 AM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
You also have to keep in mind that short sale basically means the bank is 'writing off' whatever monies they DON"T get towards the existing debt - thus, the bank wants to get the absolute most they can.

A house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, in essence. If this is one of those 'gotta have it' homes, figure out what your maximum price would be and don't go over that. I know some will come back and say that comps, etc. should determine the price (which in a way it does) and of course, there's always another house out there - tons actually!

A counter offer means that at least they're willing to negotiate - it's better than them just flat out rejecting the offer. Consider yourself lucky on those grounds!

P.S. You offered almost $25K lower than asking, they countered about $25K over asking - think maybe they're headed towards listed price?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Banks order BPOs or Broker Price Opinions to determine a market value. It's not unusual for them to order two or three actually. These are not appraisals but they are similar to CMAs that your agent does for you. You might get away with a little below that but that often means the lender will want the seller to come up with money that they probably don't have. If your agent hasn't dealt with this lender before ask him/her to ask around the office to see if anyone else has had success with them. There's no shame in asking for advice and it could help you quite a bit.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

The funny thing is, just 2 days before they came back with "$185,000", the listing agent told us that there was something in our file that indicated that "the offer was in line with the BPO." I was happy about that, and then the bottom dropped out with this high counter offer.

Perhaps peachstategal was right, and they're going to try and find a middle ground with us. I just wish they would have went that route to begin with, as we'd be signing papers right now.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
There can be a lot of issues with a short sale.

Did the sellers do a cash out refinance? Are there more than 1 lien holder?

These are factors can will slow down a short sell.

In Tampa (and I hate to use the word "bottom") But in Tampa in particular, homes below $200K are in very high demand (because they use to cost $300K and up). That's another factor in the banks not going much lower.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,776 times
I think that you had an inflated bpo. I would be asking for the bank to do another one, or try to provide the best comps that you can on your own. Sometimes you can get them to look at outside info. Sounds like you have a good agent, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs