Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,337,560 times

Advertisements

Are you serious? The fact that intentionally doing that is completely unethical doesn't bother you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,799,021 times
This is a spectacularly bad idea, even if you discount the morals of the situation. Ruin your credit, open yourself up to possible judgment liens and garnishments, and seriously risk your ability to buy a home in the future. And you know many employers run credit reports and search legal records for lawsuits, right? So you could be jeopardizing future employment. All that for a few months of free rent?

That "free" rent may be the most expensive rent you ever pay.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,215,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
and don't forget what that'd do to your credit rating.

i don't care about credit ratings. i was forced into bankruptcy around 20 years ago. i haven't had a penny of debt since then, period, nor do i want to have any, i'm just tired if paying for someone else's free ride

Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'm just tired if paying for someone else's free ride
You sound like a welfare queen. You want your own free ride since others are getting one ?

Quote:
all this time, i'm being raped by my landlord
Kind of reinforces what I just said.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Quote:
i would've thought by now that most people would've correctly come to the conclusion that the op was a rhetorical post to point out how screwed up the current system is and where the incentives really lie
I guess I should have read this 1st and you used a icon so we would have know where you were coming from.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
i would've thought by now that most people would've correctly come to the conclusion that the op was a rhetorical post to point out how screwed up the current system is and where the incentives really lie
It may be a personal incentive, but it's hardly one that'll make things better for everyone. Therefore, it's horribly selfish.

Sure, I'd like to live in my house free of my mortgage, but as long as paying it isn't keeping food off the table, not paying it seems lazy and irresponsible.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,215,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It may be a personal incentive, but it's hardly one that'll make things better for everyone. Therefore, it's horribly selfish.

Sure, I'd like to live in my house free of my mortgage, but as long as paying it isn't keeping food off the table, not paying it seems lazy and irresponsible.

read my post again. sit for a minute and think about what i wrote. if it still doesn't make any sense, call over your wife/husband, son or daughter, boss, work colleague or someone else to explain it to you. when you've done all this then respond.

perhaps someone on this thread might be able to help you. i'll say it again though anyway. the op was rhetorical ie i don't want to buy a house and allow it to go into foreclosure, i merely tried to point out that there are loads of incentives for people to do so

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,967,038 times
Quote:
read my post again. sit for a minute and think about what i wrote. if it still doesn't make any sense, call over your wife/husband, son or daughter, boss, work colleague or someone else to explain it to you. when you've done all this then respond.

perhaps someone on this thread might be able to help you. i'll say it again though anyway. the op was rhetorical ie i don't want to buy a house and allow it to go into foreclosure, i merely tried to point out that there are loads of incentives for people to do so
I get it and I can see how one might feel this way.

The way I see it is that long ago, marriages were sacred. You kept your vows. If someone got divorced, it was a HUGE black mark against them. As more and more people jumped on that bandwagon, it became "okay". Now, the divorce rate is high and people don't hold their vows sacred at all.

Same way I see foreclosures. Your grandparents would have been shamed had they done it. And they fought tooth and nail not to. Now...everyone is so it is not such a stigma anymore. You hear more and more people say they don't care about their credit anymore. I know there is more to it than that...people ticked off at the gov't and the banks and such...but I am just saying that not as many people these days look at it as immoral or unethical. And that will become less and less as we go along. I bet you will know at least a couple people who have foreclosed, short sold, or sat in their homes not paying for a while.

Sometimes it is just plain stupid to go down with the sinking ship. Pride or not.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I understood it the first time, English being my native language and all.

There may be incentives all around to lie, cheat, and steal. That's not ever going to make any of those things ethical.

Furthermore, people who were already in a house going into foreclosure due to their changing economic situation didn't buy the place PLANNING to live there for free.

So, in your imaginary scenario, if you or anyone else was living mortgage free for however long the bank would allow due t

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM

(Hit enter by accident, can't scroll down far enough to edit from my iPhone)

...due to a reversal of fortune? Whole different scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs