Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 36,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
No it wasn't. It's not paid for until the loan balance is zero.

As for whether folks get charged ... yeah, it happens, but not often enough.
Ex-homeowners charged in house damage | Local News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

Guess thats a matter of opinion then isn't it? When you pay a company that much money and walk away with nothing, I'd say we paid well over what the appliances were worth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
Fannie Mae and many of the other banks have stated that they will be going after homeowners that trash or take items from the home. We've actually had insurance adjusters (bank requested) contact us when we are handling foreclosure sales and items have been destroyed or missing. In many states such as VA, Appliances are included with the property when sold unless otherwise stated in the contract.
Thanks for sharing. I had a feeling banks are going to try and do something about this. I understand being upset, pissed or whatever with losing a house but destroying it seems to show one's true character.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
I have bought houses like this as an investment. I doesn't seem right to me. If the house had the things in it when you bought it then you haven't really paid for them yet if there is a mortgage.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Yep, it is illegal. Anything that is removed or damaged that was built in to the house is theft or vandalism, which are both a crime. If it is just honest confusion, like someone removing some light fixtures and appliances, they probably aren't going to do anything, but when it is malicious, like people who remove the kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, light switches, blinds, doors, hinges, built in appliances, carpet, etc. and then follow up by taking a sledgehammer to the granite countertops and sheetrock, those people are probably going to have an unpleasant visit at some point in the future.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,350,606 times
That's a shame!

I bought my house from an investor who bought it at a trustee auction a few months prior to my offer. He (the investor) told me that he immediately went to the house after the auction so that he could change the locks -- and the builder was there and in the process of removing the kitchen appliances, since my particular townhouse was the 'model home' when the complex was new, so the appliances were 'better' than what is in the other units.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugrgrl73 View Post
Guess thats a matter of opinion then isn't it? When you pay a company that much money and walk away with nothing, I'd say we paid well over what the appliances were worth...
Really? The amount of money people claimed to have lost in the majority of foreclosures basically amounted to "rental payments". I am talking about the majority of people who eventually lose their homes to foreclosure.

Either people
1. Put very little or no money down
2. Excotic mortgages (no interest ARMs, never paid into the principal).
3. Refinanced/home equity cash out.

So in a nut shell, the vast majority of people who have "lost homes" where gloried renters. Nothing lost really.

This is not an attack on you (since you mentioned you yourself lost a home to foreclosure previous).

But I think someone stripping a home to resale (to raise cash) is one thing. But to damage a home on purpose is intent to defraud and there's got to be a lot of emotion involved when one damages a home on purpose.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugrgrl73 View Post
Are you supposed to walk away with the interest you paid or what? What % did you put down? How long did you live there? Was your loan amortizing or interest only, or option ARM?

It sounds like you applied for a modification that did not get approved. How did the mortgage company "rip you off"??

Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 AM

101 posts, read 314,370 times
I know a lot of houses in the phoenix area have been gutted some by owners some done by thieves who watch houses that are empty . It sucks for the people that are honest and then get there house cleaned out by others. And its crap when owners take everything , either way everyone looses cause it hurts the banks and we all pay and it also hurts property values also .

Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Their actions could be construed as a Federal Crime. The part about the fixtures is in the deed (many times). The only positive is that it gives banks what they deserve for manipulating inventories, holding a shadow inventory, and causing blight in neighborhoods.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
In Phoenix, they're actually taking the AC units.

I can almost understand someone sayin'..."Hey, I just bought that fancy 'fridgerator 2 years ago...."

But doors, cabinets, AC units, toilets, etc.?

Holy Moley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs