Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,620,623 times

Advertisements

what is the difference in PENDING and CONTINGENT?

and what does 'KICKOUT' mean? Saw it under an MLS status stated like this:
CONTINGENT/KICKOUT.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 AM

11,812 posts, read 34,265,174 times
Each MLS sytem has it's own definitions, processes, and procedures.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,620,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Each MLS sytem has it's own definitions, processes, and procedures.
As a realtor, you don't know (in general) what the difference between Pending and Contingent is?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,525,379 times
2B is correct that each MLS has different terminology and procedures. However, generally, "pending" means that the home is in escrow awaiting final closing (moves to sold status).

"Contingent" means that there is something that the buyer needs to have happen before they can close on the purchase. Usually, they have a home to sell first. It may also mean they need short sale approval from the seller's bank. (my MLS has variations of a contingent status - AWC, AWC-I, AWC-0)

"Kickout" means that the buyer's contingent offer can be canceled if another better offer comes along, perhaps giving the first buyer a chance to modify their offer. (note - my MLS does not have an official status for "kickout")

Again, as noted, different MLS's may have different interpretations for these terms, or not use them at all.

Last edited by rjrcm; 05-10-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 PM

11,812 posts, read 34,265,174 times
In Denver's MLS (Metrolist) system:

Pending means working on an offer, but no contract yet.

We do not have an official Contingent/kickout term.

Contingent - we don't have that either. Our contracts have 7 standard contingencies, there are more if the transaction needs, but they need to be specific to that transaction.

So, sorry I nicely responded to you that it depends and you were kind of snarky in return. Don't worry, you are now on my ignored list.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
"Contingent." The house is under contract. A mandatory status.

"Pending." The house is under contract. An optional status.

"Kickout." No meaning.

All according to the rules of the Triangle MLS.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,178,438 times
Contingent in my MLS means there is an accepted offer that has normal contingencies (home inspection, appraisal, etc)

Pending means we are past appraisals and just waiting to close

Kickout is probably similar to our ROR status, which is Right of First Refusal which means that a house has an offer on it that is contingent on the sale of a home. If a buyer comes along with a non-home sale contingent offer, they can kickout the previous offer if the seller so chooses.

What that particular MLS definitions are depends on that MLS.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,525,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Contingent." The house is under contract. A mandatory status.

"Pending." The house is under contract. An optional status....
Interesting, pretty much the opposite of AZ's MLS definitions. The house must be placed in pending status once a non-contingent offer is accepted (under contract), or a contingency is settled. There can be a few different contingency status indicators depending on the situation:

AWC: Active with Contingency (seller wants to continue marketing property, otherwise must go to pending status)
AWC-C: Contingent on buyer selling home
AWC-I: Seller Instructions (usually indicates seller is taking backup offers, normally used with short sales)
AWC-O: Option to purchase

We have no kickout type status indicator.

Last edited by rjrcm; 05-10-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Interesting, pretty much the opposite of AZ's MLS definitions. The house must be placed in pending status once a non-contingent offer is accepted (under contract), or a contingency is settled. There can be a few different contingency status indicators depending on the situation:

AWC: Active with Contingency (seller wants to continue marketing property, otherwise must go to pending status)
AWC-C: Contingent on buyer selling home
AWC-I: Seller Instructions (usually indicates seller is taking backup offers, normally used with short sales)
AWC-O: Option to purchase

We have no kickout type status indicator.
Always interesting to compare notes on this stuff.....

At minimum, we MUST show "Contingent" if there is a contract in place. It would mean that the seller will allow showings, and would accept backup offers.
All possible contingencies fall under one status, "Contingent." We must note if there is a "Contingent Sale Addendum" in place, i.e., if the buyer has to sell a home to close. But, as of 2011, standard NCAR forms do not offer any kickout clause for another offer.

"Pending" indicates no more showings. We can take a listing under contract straight to "Pending" and cut off showings.
I go straight from "Contingent" to "Closed."
I never take a listing to "Pending" unless the seller wants no more showings. It is always the seller's decision.

A buyer may try to negotiate a change of status to "Pending," to reduce chances of competition.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-10-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,951,396 times
In CA (near Sacramento anyway) we have:

Pending - under contract, moving towards the close

Pending Bring Backup - under contract but taking backup offers since there are so many pending sales that don't close these days.

Short Sale Contingent - seller has accepted a buyers offer, but the bank has not yet given approval for the short sale. The listing is still considered active at this point. The bank can choose to continue receiving offers and pick which they want to accept, if any. It moves to Pending after the approval is given and signed by all parties.

Court Contingent - similar to above but waiting on court approval for the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs