Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,877 times

Advertisements

When it comes to buying a foreclosure, what types of things should I know? Is it possible to buy a foreclosure, in good shape, really cheap? I want to move to Nashville, Tennessee area and I only have a budget of 100,000 or less, preferably way less than 100 grand. I want to get a foreclosure so I can pay it off fast and get rid of a mortgage payment so I can start saving my money instead of spending it all on the mortgage. I know I'll still have bills, but at least the house payment would be out of the way. If you have any good tips or advice regarding purchasing foreclosed homes please feel free to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Advice - find a good agent in Nashville that knows that market and what you can expect to get with your budget. You might want to post your question in the Nashville forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashville/

If it's anything like Phoenix, it will also depend on location within the Nashville area.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
When it comes to buying a foreclosure, what types of things should I know? Is it possible to buy a foreclosure, in good shape, really cheap?
Customer: "What kind of work do you do?"
Contractor: "We do it good and fast and cheap. Pick any two."

Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
Check out Foreclosure.com | Foreclosures | Foreclosure Listings, you can find all the Fannie Mae foreclosures listed there. We're under contract on a Homepath property right now that is in great shape, and we're paying about 40% of what all the other unit owners paid when they bought them new in 2006.

Don't limit yourself to foreclosures in an attempt to get a cheap property. Another unit in our development is listed as a regular sale and they've been dropping their price in line with the foreclosed unit. There are non-distressed properties that are pricing themselves in competition with the distressed properties when they want to sell badly enough.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
If you buy a foreclosure, be sure to get a good property inspection. You don't know what might be wrong with the property, and the bank isn't going to tell you.

Look at everything in your budget. Sometimes there are houses that aren't foreclosures that are just as good of a deal. Even better b/c the homeowner is keeping up with maintenance, etc.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,348 times
If you're not on a time limit, short sales can be an avenue as well. It's in the best interest of the homeowner that the home meet any qualifications (such as FHA) so they're apt to keep the house in better shape than some foreclosures.

I'll agree with getting the good inspections done - a lot of times, when people know they're headed for foreclosure, any and all maintenance, etc. goes out the windows. Sometimes even the windows go out!

Just take your time and make sure you're getting the best deal you can out there - there's TONS to pick from down here!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
When it comes to buying a foreclosure, what types of things should I know? Is it possible to buy a foreclosure, in good shape, really cheap? .
I'll sum up my experience when I was looking for a foreclosure.

Most were in a state of disrepair. And while there is disrepair... there is also "wrecked." One key thing you are looking for is a home where the foreclosed homeowners didn't wreck the place before they left. Its pretty sad when that happens, but it seemed common in my experience. I saw about 20 foreclosed homes and 75% of them were "wrecked."

Wrecked to me means... broken windows, seemingly purposefully damaged floors, dog/cat urine on the inside of the house, holes in the drywall.

After months of searching I found a real gem (it didn't look like much), but it turned out to be a house where the previous owner sold the house to someone that never even moved in and never paid a single mortgage payment. The house was vacant.

It was a steal. (Mind you, it needed new water heater, AC, I renovated kitchen, flooring, replaced the roof - but I got the house for the right price that factored in its needs). If you look long enough, you can find something like that.

And from my limited experience, the bank didn't want to budge too much on their initial asking price. They did, but I had to come up a lot more than they came down.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM

79 posts, read 174,099 times
A lot of properties which are foreclosed usually require renovation or repairs. Important is you learn more about the properties that you are interested in then inspect and assess the renovations and repairs you may have to make.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
The good news is homes here are still fairly cheap. I'm a couple hours southeast of Nashville but got a huge brick house on nearly 10 acres for a good bit under 100k. It was about five years ago, but there are still homes out there in that price range. The further you go from Nashville the less you'll pay. Smyrna and LaVergne are still pretty reasonable and Murfreesboro is really a good bit less. I've got friends / former co-workers in all three towns. I just prefer rural areas, so I wound up buying way out in the boonies. Was a blessing until gas got to nearly $5 / gallon a while back. LOL. The trip 5 days a week to and from Nashville was costing me more in fuel each month than our mortgage. That hurt.

Oh, try Cookeville / Crossville areas too. Not *too* far from Nashville, right on I40 so it's an easy drive, though traffic on 40 can get bogged down more than 24 usually does.

ETA: Just checked RDC for 3 or more bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms within 20 miles of and including Nashville under 100k and there are 713 listings. Shouldn't be a problem at all finding what you're looking for!

ETA2: This of course goes without saying, but make sure you get a good appraisal. After the flood we had you want to make sure there is no damage the home owner may be trying to hide.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM

35 posts, read 83,290 times
You will find out quickly that many REO's are not fha approved and you may need to put 10-20% down. Your best value is usually a home that needs a little work that may scare away FHA buyers. Then again the downpayment may make you stick to certain home that are more complete, and move in ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs