Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times

Advertisements

What will happen? GMAC told me they'll do a deed in lieu if the house doesn't sell by mid Novemeber. Do I get a letter saying show up at a certain place and hand the keys over on this date? How does the process work and about how long will it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,916,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
What will happen? GMAC told me they'll do a deed in lieu if the house doesn't sell by mid Novemeber. Do I get a letter saying show up at a certain place and hand the keys over on this date? How does the process work and about how long will it take?
It is different in every state as to the amount of time it takes to foreclose on a home. Noting your in New Mexico, your state is a judical state where the bank has to go through the courts in order to foreclose.

By you working with them to do a deed in lieu, you are making it cheaper and easier for them to get you out of the property. You have probably sent them all your income information. You left it to them to determine there is no affordability to save your home.

Even if your bank accepts a deed in lieu, they go after a deficiency judgment against the borrower. They are allowed in your state. Although if they realize they will not profit from a deficiency judgment, You are going to receive a 1099c for the difference what was owed on your loan, the what the loan is settled at.

You accepting a deed in lieu - you have to be really careful in the future, there is no further recourse against you. Banks are really skillful in how they word they are their documents. People across the country are being burned by their lenders...

Good Luck..

Old 10-05-2011, 05:29 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Rich, I obviously don't know the details of this program you mentioned but did the bank tell you a specific selling price at which they would agree to a short sale? If not, or maybe even if they did, why don't you lower the price each week right up until your deadline? If you get a contract, you can demonstrate that the property wouldn't sell at a higher price. If it doesn't draw a contract you are no worse off than before.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Rich, I obviously don't know the details of this program you mentioned but did the bank tell you a specific selling price at which they would agree to a short sale? If not, or maybe even if they did, why don't you lower the price each week right up until your deadline? If you get a contract, you can demonstrate that the property wouldn't sell at a higher price. If it doesn't draw a contract you are no worse off than before.
Yes the bank told me the min price I could sell the house. GMAC also told me I would not owe anything, they won't come after me, etc., etc. I just want to know what happens when the short sale's over and the deed in lieu period starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs