Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM

134 posts, read 507,223 times

Advertisements

When a person forcloses, do they still owe the bank? Someone told me that the owner does not get away scott-free? I understood that they do as long as they return the property? How does this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 AM

76 posts, read 245,389 times
If the remaining mortgage is for more than the value of the home, then the owner is responsible for the difference.

For example, let's say you have a mortgage for $200,000 that you can't afford payments on anymore. The bank forecloses, and sells the house for $150,000. That leaves a difference of $50,000 that you are still responsible for, and the bank may still pursue their money.

However, oftentimes the bank will "forgive" the difference. The IRS on the other hand, sees the forgiven debt as income. Because essentially, you earned $50,000 worth of income when the bank forgave the difference in the loan. That's $50,000 that will now be taxed and collected by the government. So even though you never physically saw the $50,000 worth of forgiven debt, it is still viewed as taxable income.

Either way you cut it, you do not get away scott-free. You credit and finances will be ruined for at least seven years (the amount of time a foreclosure is reported on your credit).

Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
When a person forcloses, do they still owe the bank? Someone told me that the owner does not get away scott-free? I understood that they do as long as they return the property? How does this work?
This thread might help you.
//www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...-home-can.html

Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
If the remaining mortgage is for more than the value of the home, then the owner is responsible for the difference.

For example, let's say you have a mortgage for $200,000 that you can't afford payments on anymore. The bank forecloses, and sells the house for $150,000. That leaves a difference of $50,000 that you are still responsible for, and the bank may still pursue their money.

However, oftentimes the bank will "forgive" the difference. The IRS on the other hand, sees the forgiven debt as income. Because essentially, you earned $50,000 worth of income when the bank forgave the difference in the loan. That's $50,000 that will now be taxed and collected by the government. So even though you never physically saw the $50,000 worth of forgiven debt, it is still viewed as taxable income.

Either way you cut it, you do not get away scott-free. You credit and finances will be ruined for at least seven years (the amount of time a foreclosure is reported on your credit).
This vary's from state to state. Arizona is a non-recourse state. The lender can not go after the difference. You owe the lender nothing after the foreclosure.

In the past, many lenders, although required to, never got around to filling out 1099's.

Here's an IRS link that discusses the taxable forgiven debt.

Questions and Answers on Home Foreclosure and Debt Cancellation

However, if I'm not mistaken, it was recently passed, in order to assist the people in foreclusure, that the government would not tax the forgiven debt. I can't find that, so I may be wrong. If someone knows for sure perhaps they can post a link.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Here ya go Bill (and everyone else).

OpenCongress - H.R.3648 Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007

Brief synopsis:
Quote:
The current tax code requires a lender who forgives debt to provide a Form 1099 to the IRS stating the amount the borrower has been forgiven. This disclosure applies whether it is a short sale, foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure or any similar arrangement that relieves the borrower of the obligation to pay some portion of their debt. If the property is sold at foreclosure or is sold for less than was borrowed, that difference is considered income and is subject to the tax.

H.R. 3648 would ensure that any amount forgiven on mortgage debt secured by a principal residence will not be taxed. The legislation has a provision to safeguard against abuses. That provision is similar to one that already exists for commercial real estate owners and would treat commercial and residential property equally.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM

134 posts, read 507,223 times
Default Thanks all for responding

This is a start and very helpful!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
It is my understanding that the forgiveness has to do with the original loans only. That means if you refinanced and pulled equity out that portion is still subject to tax. Then there is the situation of being insolvent, which means if your assests are less than your debt (in a whole) that you are insolvent and not subject to the tax. There are also situations that affect the difference (as in the example above, the $50K) which might mean you don't owe on the whole $50K but a portion of it. It's pretty complicated and you should really speak with a tax accountant to determine how it would affect you and your situation.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 15,021 times
What happens to the $60,000.00 down I placed on my home if I owe $150,000 on my mortgage and then $40,000 on my second mortgage and need to possibly forclose? Any possibility I could walk away with cash from a forclosure?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy Earnest View Post
What happens to the $60,000.00 down I placed on my home if I owe $150,000 on my mortgage and then $40,000 on my second mortgage and need to possibly forclose? Any possibility I could walk away with cash from a forclosure?
You can not be serious!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy Earnest View Post
You lose any downpayment you made. The only cash you might get from a foreclosure is a payoff from the bank to not trash the house. I've seen sellers get $1500 from the bank to leave the house in good condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs