Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times

Advertisements

I am in the market to buy a house, so does my friend. Here is the situation he is in. He put in an offer to a REO and accepted. During the loan application, the appraisal came in $10K lower than the offer price. His realtor sent in request to reduce the price to appraisal price since he can't get the loan for the offering price. The bank rejected the offer and stated that he KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY sent in an offer above the asking price (I am sure he just did what his realtor told him to do). His realtor is still trying to talk to the bank. If the bank still rejected, does my friend get his deposit back? If so, take how long? He is a bit worried.

The same as him, I don't have much experience. Since I am also in the market, I would like to know what is the best course of action to take. So I can be prepared. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Your friend needs to discuss this with his agent and review the bank addendum he signed to understand his options. Some banks will require the buyer to purchase at the accepted price even if the appraisal is lower, or lose the earnest money deposit. It's very important to read and understand the terms of the bank addendum before signing it.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM

680 posts, read 1,920,790 times
It's been a while since I submitted an offer on an REO, but if I recall correctly, my offer still included language that stated something like:

"This offer is contigent upon upon Buyer obtaining a written loan commitment at XX%"

What does his purchase and sale contract say?

Edit: Just found an old Homepath addendum that states:

"If, despite the Purchaser’s diligent efforts, the Purchaser cannot obtain a mortgage loan commitment by the specified date, then either the Purchaser or the Seller may terminate this Agreement by giving written notice to the other party. The Purchaser’s notice must include a copy of the loan application, proof of the application date, and a copy of the denial letter from the prospective lender. In the event of a proper termination of this Agreement under this paragraph, the earnest money deposit shall be returned to the Purchaser and the parties shall have no further obligation to each other under this Agreement."

So again... as RJRCM stated... it really just comes down to what he signed.

Last edited by volk2k; 11-23-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM

This offer is contigent upon upon Buyer obtaining a written loan commitment at XX%"

The contract does have a finance contigent. I guess he just worried.

Ling

Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post

Right, each bank has their own addendum and terms, and under what conditions earnest money may be returned.

I have seen some that are very tough on contingencies regarding appraisals. In some areas with a lot of competition for these homes, many buyers would bid over the listing price knowing that the appraisal was likely not going to meet it, and gambling that the bank would then lower the price. Some banks started restricting the appraisal contingency to combat this strategy.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Your friend needs to discuss this with his agent and review the bank addendum he signed to understand his options. Some banks will require the buyer to purchase at the accepted price even if the appraisal is lower, or lose the earnest money deposit. It's very important to read and understand the terms of the bank addendum before signing it.
I have yet to see a bank addendum like that, but it is believable to me that it could exist. I don't see how they could buy it in those circumstances. If it doesn't appraise, then you can't get your loan. Kiss your earnest money goodbye.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
It's been a while since I submitted an offer on an REO, but if I recall correctly, my offer still included language that stated something like:

"This offer is contigent upon upon Buyer obtaining a written loan commitment at XX%"

What does his purchase and sale contract say?

"If, despite the Purchaser’s diligent efforts, the Purchaser cannot obtain a mortgage loan commitment by the specified date, then either the Purchaser or the Seller may terminate this Agreement by giving written notice to the other party. The Purchaser’s notice must include a copy of the loan application, proof of the application date, and a copy of the denial letter from the prospective lender. In the event of a proper termination of this Agreement under this paragraph, the earnest money deposit shall be returned to the Purchaser and the parties shall have no further obligation to each other under this Agreement."

What you have there is what most contracts have, not just for REO's. It just makes the purchase contingent on the buyer being able to get a loan.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I have yet to see a bank addendum like that, but it is believable to me that it could exist. I don't see how they could buy it in those circumstances. If it doesn't appraise, then you can't get your loan. Kiss your earnest money goodbye.
In this case, the listing price is $8000 above the appraised price. So if the addendum is allowed, Bank can make a lot of money using REOs as baits. It doesn't sound right. Just my opinion. I am not a lawyer.

His addendum stated if he submitted all his loan paperwork in time and failed to get a loan, the deposit should be returned. WOW, his realtor is still trying to talk to the bank to see whether they can meet somewhere that would allow it to close with my friend bring in more cash. Then drinking coffee with another friend, a Suntrust mortgage broker, he told me many lenders don't like to finance a purchase like this even the purchaser brings a lot of cash to make up the gap. Any experience like this?

Last edited by LingLing; 11-23-2011 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
If the buyer brings in the cash to make up the difference, I don't see what the issue will be with the lender. They are lending based on the appraisal and the extra cash doesn't matter in the equation because it is not theirs.

I once submitted an offer for a client $15K over asking price because the asking price was about $25K below market value and my client really wanted it. The bank asked the buyer to show proof of funds for the difference between asking and list price in case it did not appraise. She did. But they sold it at list to a cash investor. Not sure if something hinky was going on or if the bank really prefers cash that much more than a loan.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
In this case, the listing price is $8000 above the appraised price. So if the addendum is allowed, Bank can make a lot of money using REOs as baits. It doesn't sound right. Just my opinion. I am not a lawyer.

His addendum stated if he submitted all his loan paperwork in time and failed to get a loan, the deposit should be returned. WOW, his realtor is still trying to talk to the bank to see whether they can meet somewhere that would allow it to close with my friend bring in more cash. Then drinking coffee with another friend, a Suntrust mortgage broker, he told me many lenders don't like to finance a purchase like this even the purchaser brings a lot of cash to make up the gap. Any experience like this?
Like I said, no I haven't seen this. Always have your agent run a market analysis before making an offer. They are there to help you determine the value of a property so this won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs