Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM

28 posts, read 36,908 times

Advertisements

Would you rent a house if you would find a "appointment of substitute trustee" document on the local public records website? Owner is moving away.

I googled this document and everything points to foreclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
We would have no idea because we do not know where this property is.

Some areas appoint the trustee at the closing, in the unlikely event of a foreclosure and appointing a substitute would be a routine thing if the former trustee left their position.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxi View Post
Would you rent a house if you would find a "appointment of substitute trustee" document on the local public records website? Owner is moving away.

I googled this document and everything points to foreclosure.
In my area, that's usually the first step to taking the house back. I'd be super careful & insist on a default clause in the lease at a minimum.

FWIW, in my area, you can see what the original mortgage balance was at the county recorder's website - it may give you a clue if the owner is over-easy on the house.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,469 times
May have nothing to do with foreclosures. I work in a bank. The original trustee on one recent deal was a title company who has since gone out of business. We modified the loan and substituted a new trustee.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
May have nothing to do with foreclosures. I work in a bank. The original trustee on one recent deal was a title company who has since gone out of business. We modified the loan and substituted a new trustee.
Right.
There are many reasons to appoint a new Trustee. Moving toward foreclosure is only one, although it is very common.

I have seen the scammer foreclosure websites noting properties as "Preforeclosure" or whatever title they care to use when a homeowner has actually improved their position by refinancing, and of course, there is a change in trustee.

And some banks or investors exercise the option whenever they buy loans, which is not a reflection on the homeowner's payment history.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right.
There are many reasons to appoint a new Trustee. Moving toward foreclosure is only one, although it is very common.

I have seen the scammer foreclosure websites noting properties as "Preforeclosure" or whatever title they care to use when a homeowner has actually improved their position by refinancing, and of course, there is a change in trustee.

And some banks or investors exercise the option whenever they buy loans, which is not a reflection on the homeowner's payment history.
Certainly there are legitimate reasons for changing a trustee that have nothing to do with foreclosure, however, with a landlord leaving the state it looks bad.

If it walks like a duck, there's no reason to assume it's a raccoon. Lots of landlords are over-easy on their mortgages, lots of deadbeats rent their houses & pocket the cash. It's on the news every day, so much so, that we needed a federal law to mitigate the damage. ("The protecting tenants from foreclosure act".)

As a tenant paying full-market rent, the op has choices - so asking a few pointed questions is 100% appropriate.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM

28 posts, read 36,908 times
The new trustees are a couple of peoples. After I googled them I found out that they belong to a law firm.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxi View Post
The new trustees are a couple of peoples. After I googled them I found out that they belong to a law firm.
That is commonly the case here.
It is pretty much a legal function, as they are accountable to the lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs