Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM

37 posts, read 193,947 times

Advertisements

I put in an offer on a short sale almost exactly a month ago. I wrote in the contract that if I did not receive an answer from the bank in 3 weeks I could void the contract. After that deadline had passed I finally heard back from the bank verbally. They countered my offer and wanted me to fax them page 1 of the contract, X out the old price and put a new one and sign/date it. Once I did this I scheduled the inspection. 1 day before the inspection I received a call from my realtor stating the bank has not "officially" accepted the offer even though they verbally proposed it. They were supposed to finalize everything in a few days but did not. It has been about 10 days since then. I started looking at houses again and am now having 2nd thoughts about this short sale. Since I did write I can void after a certain date BUT dated the counter offer later than that deadline can I still backout? What if they finally accept the offer, am I legally obligated to purchase now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
First, and most important, ask your agent. From what I can tell, you are not under contract right now so you can cancel anytime. But that depends on the fine print of your contract.

Also, most contracts have an inspection contingency period. If the bank approves the short sale then you typically have the option to cancel within the contingency period.

Once again, the best person to help you is your agent.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
From what I understand there isn't a written counter offer. They asked you to make changes on the original offer and initial them and you did. I don't think you are obligated because they still have not responded to the original offer in the time you gave them. Just because you made a correction and dated your initials a different date does not give them extra time. If you would feel better about it ask your realtor to write up a withdrawal of your offer, sign it and send it over, but I don't see how this is necessary from the information you've given.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM

37 posts, read 193,947 times
Thank you very much for the replies. The house still is a very good deal but I'm going Monday to look at a few others. I'm just worried that if I find another one I like I could somehow get stuck with this short sale one and not be able to make any other offers. The bank has been very shady throughout the past month. I don't understand why they would make a verbal counter offer, wait until I accept it, then 2 days before my inspection come back and say they don't know if they accept and have to talk it over again. I have a strange feeling they may come back asking for more money anyway. The seller has even agreed to pay for/make any repairs for the POS sale. I'm not even sure the bank will allow that since its a short sale.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM

30 posts, read 71,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKid View Post
Thank you very much for the replies. The house still is a very good deal but I'm going Monday to look at a few others. I'm just worried that if I find another one I like I could somehow get stuck with this short sale one and not be able to make any other offers. The bank has been very shady throughout the past month. I don't understand why they would make a verbal counter offer, wait until I accept it, then 2 days before my inspection come back and say they don't know if they accept and have to talk it over again. I have a strange feeling they may come back asking for more money anyway. The seller has even agreed to pay for/make any repairs for the POS sale. I'm not even sure the bank will allow that since its a short sale.
you said your realtor called you and told you it wasn't "official" right? But above you said the bank called to say it wasn't official? Nothing is ever official from a bank unless it's in writing, this counter-offer step you're talking about is a normal part of short sales. The bank never gave you an official approval but were negotiating the deal and will approve it now that you've countered. Also, the seller can make the repairs if they agree and you've requested them, that's also a normal part of a short sale and of course the bank would allow it. I'm not sure I understand why you're so willing to bail on the short sale, these things you're talking about are normal.

I highly doubt the bank will come back asking for more money, before they approve the short sale, they're obligated to try to get more than your offer it was for less than FMV, so they've done that and I would bet you'll have a full approval shortly.

Just hold tight, be a little more patient, and you'll likely get a great deal on a house. Sounds like your agent isn't doing a good job of helping you understand the process and helping to keep you "cool" during this no-doubt stressful time.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Once you changed your original offer, that was essentially a new offer. However, if you haven't received a written acceptance of your offer, you should be able to simply withdraw your offer by submitting your withdrawal in writing. You will need to deliver your withdrawal to them prior to an acceptance of your offer being delivered to you. If they do sign and deliver to you an acceptance of your offer, then you'd have a binding contract. (Some states may require you to sign the accepted offer for it to be valid.)

There may be a provision in your contract whereby your offer will remain valid for so many days, but absent that (or some other provision) you should be able to simply withdraw your offer prior to it being accepted.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Once you changed your original offer, that was essentially a new offer. However, if you haven't received a written acceptance of your offer, you should be able to simply withdraw your offer by submitting your withdrawal in writing. You will need to deliver your withdrawal to them prior to an acceptance of your offer being delivered to you. If they do sign and deliver to you an acceptance of your offer, then you'd have a binding contract. (Some states may require you to sign the accepted offer for it to be valid.)

There may be a provision in your contract whereby your offer will remain valid for so many days, but absent that (or some other provision) you should be able to simply withdraw your offer prior to it being accepted.
The OP already told us it is past the date given to the seller to respond by. Once that date has passed a withdrawal isn't necessary.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
The OP already told us it is past the date given to the seller to respond by. Once that date has passed a withdrawal isn't necessary.
The OP stated that the contract was voidable after the passage 3 weeks without an answer--not that the contract was automatically null and void. Without the benefit of reading the contract, it is still advisable to submit a written withdrawal. Besides, by submitting a second offer--at a revised price--the OP has given evidence to the bank that he does not intend to void the contract. Better to be safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs