Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
She was allowed to clean out houses, and profit from the goods. This is something I think is unfair. But life itself is often unfair. I guess I just don''t see how the girl deserves the credit she's getting because she happened to be in a sitiuation she could profit from, that most people don't have.
I think you missed a part of the story. First, we are talking about items that were abandoned in homes that were eventually taken over by a lender. Willow's mom is an agent who listed and/or sold these homes to investors who wanted the homes cleaned out. Willow saw a chance to both provide a service and make some money. There are adults who provide the same service. There's nothing opportunistic or unfair about it.

You may argue that there's nothing special going on here and that's your legitimate opinion but obviously there are a number of other people who see it as an exceptional story about a 14 year old who saw an opportunity, worked hard to make money, and then leveraged that money into something greater. It is, in every sense, an example of the American Dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Good for you Willow!!

Success is having good luck/opportunity and then making something out of it. The average 14 year old would have let this opportunity slide by.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
I recently bought a foreclosure and I was disgusted to learn from the neighbors that expensive personal items such as a piano and a riding lawnmower were taken from the property by the people who cleaned out the house for the bank. The former owners should have been allowed to retrieve those items.

I was further disgusted when it was apparent that they had also stolen fixtures from the property--including fencing around the yard and fence posts. If people leave unwanted items, I see no problem with someone taking them, but if locks are changed and people are denied access to their possessions then that is wrong. I'm not speaking to the situation in this story, because I don't know which was the case.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I recently bought a foreclosure and I was disgusted to learn from the neighbors that expensive personal items such as a piano and a riding lawnmower were taken from the property by the people who cleaned out the house for the bank. The former owners should have been allowed to retrieve those items.

I was further disgusted when it was apparent that they had also stolen fixtures from the property--including fencing around the yard and fence posts. If people leave unwanted items, I see no problem with someone taking them, but if locks are changed and people are denied access to their possessions then that is wrong. I'm not speaking to the situation in this story, because I don't know which was the case.
The former owners did have an opportunity to retrieve those items. After a foreclosure sale (and redemption period, if applicable) they will receive a Notice to Quit which gives them until a certain date to vacate the property. If they do not leave, they will be served with eviction papers which will contain a court date x days from now. If the bank wins the right to evict, the eviction date will be set shortly thereafter.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The former owners did have an opportunity to retrieve those items. After a foreclosure sale (and redemption period, if applicable) they will receive a Notice to Quit which gives them until a certain date to vacate the property. If they do not leave, they will be served with eviction papers which will contain a court date x days from now. If the bank wins the right to evict, the eviction date will be set shortly thereafter.
Agreed, that's how it's supposed to work. But if my neighbors and the former owner are to be believed, then the locks were changed before the stated date and the house was subsequently emptied of all that remained. (I'm sure you've read that not all foreclosures have been on the up-and-up.)

But, even if the neighbors and the former owners were not being fully truthful, those who cleaned out the house had no right to take fencing and other fixtures.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Agreed, that's how it's supposed to work. But if my neighbors and the former owner are to be believed, then the locks were changed before the stated date and the house was subsequently emptied of all that remained. (I'm sure you've read that not all foreclosures have been on the up-and-up.)

But, even if the neighbors and the former owners were not being fully truthful, those who cleaned out the house had no right to take fencing and other fixtures.
They are supposed to change locks to secure the property, but leave one the same until the eviction is complete, right? I think that's what I remember from my days working in the post-foreclosure department.

Absolutely agree about the fencing and fixtures.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
She was allowed to clean out houses, and profit from the goods. This is something I think is unfair. But life itself is often unfair. I guess I just don''t see how the girl deserves the credit she's getting because she happened to be in a sitiuation she could profit from, that most people don't have.
I would say most of the stuff left behind is junk. A lot of flippers just toss it or hire crews to toss it. Advertise on craigslist and to real estate/flippers as a trash hauler, you will get paid and can keep the better stuff to sell on craigslist. Don't complain, do something about it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:

wondering if you've ever set foot in a foreclosed home. often people just leave. the banks in turn call out companies to clear out the homes. more often than not, usable furniture, clothing and other merchandise just gets dumped. some people noticed this and are profiting from the situation by recycling products and offering well priced goods on ebay and craigslist. i'm sure you'd rather see perfectly usable stuff at the local landfill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs