Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

So, there is a house beside me that two idiots bought in 2006 with 100% financing as a rental. This is a 2600 sf house that has default high end finishes like granite countertops, wood floors, high level carpet, etc. When we went to pick out the finishes at the builders design center, everything was already the highest level included in the price. Not your typical rental home.

So, they have rented it to several tenants over the last 6 years, 2 or 3 of which left owning thousands in rent and caused lots of damage. One of the partners does not mind telling me of all his tribulations and financial details. Looks like they have lost at least $10,000 in potential rent, had about $5000 in damages and spent a few grand on legal fees.

Now they are ready to be out of it. They have had it on the market for about 6 months for a price that is probably reflective of the market, though a bit on the low end. Unortunately since they are idiots, they did not fix all of thelatest damage before they putnit on the market. Nothing major, but some pieces of siding that came off a few years ago, some rot on a exterior door frame, wall damage and carpet. So, lots of people saw the house for worse than what it was and bid low. They had a contract, eventually had to fix the stuff anyway and were selling it for less than they wanted, but the deal fell though. According to this same guy, they we're going to have to come up with $20k each to get out.

Now, they are evidently trying to short sell it, judging by the sign they posted on the front door begging someone not to change the locks due to a short sale pending. So, I'm guessing they are no longer paying the mortage either.

So, to get to my question, would it be possible for 4 or 5 of us that live nearby to form an LLC and buy the house for the highest price possible assuming we could get an appraisal, sit on it a few years and rent, even if we collectively lost a little bit due to rent not covering the note? We'd use a professional company probably and I am confident that we would do a better job picking tenants as the current owners do not speak English as a first language and that hurt their selection process. (that and not doing background checks, these guys should have just wrote a book on how not to be a landlord)

Factoring into this is the fact that we have not been hot with too many nearby shorts or forclosures and pretty much the rest of the block is stable. It would really suck after dealing with their crappy tenants, to get spanked by these guys on the way out and take the value hit for years down the road when things are just starting to do better and our neighborhood never really had a real run up in prices.

Or am I just being stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, to get to my question, would it be possible for 4 or 5 of us that live nearby to form an LLC and buy the house...
sure.
all you need is the lender to agree

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Do you really think one short sale is going to impact values that much and what happens if another house in the area goes to short sale? If there are that many of you going in could you buy it with no financing?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
So, there is a house beside me that two idiots bought in 2006 with 100% financing as a rental. This is a 2600 sf house that has default high end finishes like granite countertops, wood floors, high level carpet, etc. When we went to pick out the finishes at the builders design center, everything was already the highest level included in the price. Not your typical rental home.

So, they have rented it to several tenants over the last 6 years, 2 or 3 of which left owning thousands in rent and caused lots of damage. One of the partners does not mind telling me of all his tribulations and financial details. Looks like they have lost at least $10,000 in potential rent, had about $5000 in damages and spent a few grand on legal fees.

Now they are ready to be out of it. They have had it on the market for about 6 months for a price that is probably reflective of the market, though a bit on the low end. Unortunately since they are idiots, they did not fix all of thelatest damage before they putnit on the market. Nothing major, but some pieces of siding that came off a few years ago, some rot on a exterior door frame, wall damage and carpet. So, lots of people saw the house for worse than what it was and bid low. They had a contract, eventually had to fix the stuff anyway and were selling it for less than they wanted, but the deal fell though. According to this same guy, they we're going to have to come up with $20k each to get out.

Now, they are evidently trying to short sell it, judging by the sign they posted on the front door begging someone not to change the locks due to a short sale pending. So, I'm guessing they are no longer paying the mortage either.

So, to get to my question, would it be possible for 4 or 5 of us that live nearby to form an LLC and buy the house for the highest price possible assuming we could get an appraisal, sit on it a few years and rent, even if we collectively lost a little bit due to rent not covering the note? We'd use a professional company probably and I am confident that we would do a better job picking tenants as the current owners do not speak English as a first language and that hurt their selection process. (that and not doing background checks, these guys should have just wrote a book on how not to be a landlord)

Factoring into this is the fact that we have not been hot with too many nearby shorts or forclosures and pretty much the rest of the block is stable. It would really suck after dealing with their crappy tenants, to get spanked by these guys on the way out and take the value hit for years down the road when things are just starting to do better and our neighborhood never really had a real run up in prices.

Or am I just being stupid?
Of course you could do it. Whether it is a good idea or not, that is a whole other topic. FYI-this one house is not going to affect your street's values for 'years down the road'. Probably best to let nature takes it's coarse on the property and hope that the new owners are good neighbors.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
...Now, they are evidently trying to short sell it, judging by the sign they posted on the front door begging someone not to change the locks due to a short sale pending. ....
Well, first you need to find out the current status of the home. By "short sale pending", do they mean they have a signed purchase contract and are waiting for their bank to approve? If so, you may be too late to negotiate a different offer. Or it may just be a ploy to ward off the bank from changing the locks. Suggest you get your own agent to check it out, or talk to their listing agent if they have it listed for sale.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 58,085 times
I personally would not because you can also be a victim in a very short time as well. I never found purchasing a home with several owners to be a good idea. I have done this and round up being the only owner. Good luck if you choose to do so.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
One issue...if any one of the owners wants to sell next year (maybe they are getting a divorce or lost a job or moved out-of-state), then y'all would either need to buy out their portion or sell and then split proceeds. Neither of these is a simple process when you have several other owners.

The more people that own this place, the more possibility that someone wants out even though they don't anticipate it at this moment.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
So, in a bunch of houses that should be worth $300-330k, one selling for $250-260 won't affect our values? I'd love to think that but our neighborhood is so small, 130 homes, there just are not that many sales.

In general, this thread has pretty much echoed every misgiving i already had about it.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
So, in a bunch of houses that should be worth $300-330k, one selling for $250-260 won't affect our values? I'd love to think that but our neighborhood is so small, 130 homes, there just are not that many sales.

In general, this thread has pretty much echoed every misgiving i already had about it.
Let's assume it would have an impact. What are you going to do if there is another short sale?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
I agree with the others this all around doesn't sound like a very good idea. Most areas also do not count foreclosures or short sales for comps for home value. Plus if you are in a nicer area and the house does go into foreclosure, the flippers likely will be all over it to fix it up, and resell at a higher price that will count for a comp value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs