Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,064 times

Advertisements

Hi I could really use advice. I have a signed purchase and sale on a foreclosed home and we are about 3 weeks before closing. We got a call from the listing agent that they want us to sign to terminate out purchase and sale due to title issues. They claim that the homeowner is dead now and the foreclosure has to be completely redone from day one. They said there is nothing they can do. The homeowner has no spouse, parents or siblings alive and there was no will. I asked for an extension and was willing to wait for this home and they said they can't help me and my p&s needs to terminated. Anyone have any advice to stay in this contract. This is the house of our dreams and I don't want to loose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
It doesn't quite make sense. If it is an actual foreclosure, that means the bank owns it. It shouldn't matter if the previous owner is now dead... even if the owner died during the foreclosure procedures, the estate would be responsible for staying current. I would ask for more details.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Thank you this does not make sense to me either. the told me the title cannot switch over because the bank cannot foreclose on a dead man. The homeowner died in January an the bank finished foreclosure in march and it went on the market in June and we bought it. Would the bank need to re foreclose? there is only a niece still alive and she lives out of state and cannot afford the property so it stayed in foreclosure. Can I still receive a title if it is in the dead mans name and not the estate?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
It sounds like they never finished the foreclosure in the first place. Perhaps you have been lead astray.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM

No the foreclosure was completedin march that's why I am so confused of our rights where we have a signed purchase and sale. The attorney for Fannie Mae said the whole process has to be completely redone where he is passed now.??wouldnt that cost the bank more money. We r close to passing papers and not sure if we should sign to terminate the agreement

Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM

31 posts, read 162,387 times
You need to get more information

If the property was foreclosed on (went to auction and there were no bids) the leinholder now owns the property outright, it doesn't matter if the PREVIOUS owner is alive or dead).

It looks like fannie now owns the property and is being marketed as a fannie REO. The current status of the owner(PREVIOUS) is moot because fannie owns the property

Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Get in touch with the title company or if title companies aren't used there the attorney. Something doesn't sound quite right. Are you using an agent yourself? The listing agent represents the other side, so I wouldn't want to just take their word for it. I would find out more first.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
OP, it would also help if you say what state the property is located in.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM

The property is in ma. I have a realtor and the lawyer handling the closing for me is going to look into the title. I was puzzled as well that they said title cannot come in the dead homeowners name it has to be from the estate of? I am going to call another real estate attorney to see if they can help me more! I do not know much about real estate laws and reo properties but this seems strange.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
My thought is that if title cannot be transferred as it is and they can't fix it somehow then the deal will fall apart regardless if you sign something or not, so why do it now before you know everything? I would just wait and listen to your realtor and that lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs