Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

I work the front desk in a real estate/property management office. Therefore, I meet a lot of people who are either doing a short sale, have done a short sale, or have lost their homes to foreclosure. To my knowledge, only one of them has actually received his 1099C. Most of them have never received one. I don't think most of the banks are sending them out, even though they are required to do so. I wouldn't worry about it unless a 1099 shows up, which is what it sounds like you are doing anyway.

Quote:
Per IRS Pub 523 I can exclude up to $250,000 on the sale of a home if it has been my main residence for two of the last five years (which it has). Problem solved?
I didn't look up the specific document you are referring to, but this sounds like the capital gains law, and wouldn't apply to cancellation of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
N M N M started this thread

9 posts, read 14,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I work the front desk in a real estate/property management office. Therefore, I meet a lot of people who are either doing a short sale, have done a short sale, or have lost their homes to foreclosure. To my knowledge, only one of them has actually received his 1099C. Most of them have never received one. I don't think most of the banks are sending them out, even though they are required to do so. I wouldn't worry about it unless a 1099 shows up, which is what it sounds like you are doing anyway.

I didn't look up the specific document you are referring to, but this sounds like the capital gains law, and wouldn't apply to cancellation of debt.

Hi. No debt cancelled. When they took the house, California's "one action rule" took over. Debt is satisfied in full since it was a non-judicial foreclosure.

The "gain" would have been on the IRS side - the 12K difference between what I paid for the place and what the balance of the loan was when they took it. H&R Block says it's treated as if I sold the house.

All done now, (I hope). Thanks.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,200 times
Was your loan underwater when it was foreclosed? If it was you will be getting a 1099 A or C if it was not underwater and had some equity the bank probably kept any procedes that could have been realized for lawyer fees and realty agent commissions. If you loan was underwater the bank will issue a 1099 so that they can write off the loss if they don't issue one they can't get the tax deductions. By California law the loss was realized when they foreclosed non-judicially and they can not sue you but there may still be a cancelled debt. If your refinance was a cash-out depending on how much you took out you can use the mortgage forgiveness act to eliminate some of the cancelled debt or depending on your assest you may want to consider filing insolvency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs