Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times

Advertisements

We are in the midst of attorney review to buy a short sale home. the sellers attorny just made a provision, which we are rejecting, to allow the seller to continue to list/show the property and present any other offeres to the sellers lender. Am i wrong in finding this completly unreasonable? its basically giving us no shelter to being under contract. I just wanted to see if anyone has had this and been ok with it or is this out of the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
It is totally normal in my area, but in exchange the buyer has the right to walk up until the time of short sale acceptance by the lender.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Yes, it is normal here in AZ. Although most lenders only want to see 1 offer. They cannot deal with multiple offers very well.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

166 posts, read 411,858 times
"everything is negotiable".
I've never been a fan of not being in primary position in a shortsale scenario; sorta defeats the purpose otherwise. Perhaps offer far less EM if they're adamant about continuing to show it etc and 'representing' it as still available. At the end of the day, each party has to come to somesort of agreement and compromise a thing or two.... You might want to consider putting a right to see other submitted offers and match/exceed them etc. If they say 'don't be so daft', then tell them its daft for them to suggest marketing and accepting other offers .... (but they are trying to payoff as much as possible)
We in CO use a specific addendum regarding shortsales because of confusion they have presented in the past. Core essence is that the whole deal is contingent upon bank(s) approval of the payoff; and that such payoff terms is generated by the bank(s) is/are acceptable to seller etc - but every state will differ with their contracts regarding shortsales and each party's rights.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 AM

the listing price is 539 and we offered 530, we arnt getting much of a "deal", i understand the seller wants to get as much as possiblem, if we offered 450 or something like that i would get it, but to **** off the buyer for 9k? either way my attorney asked to have the clause removed, now i just have to wait and see if they accept the terms and we can move on to inspection

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
the listing price is 539 and we offered 530, we arnt getting much of a "deal", i understand the seller wants to get as much as possiblem, if we offered 450 or something like that i would get it, but to **** off the buyer for 9k? either way my attorney asked to have the clause removed, now i just have to wait and see if they accept the terms and we can move on to inspection
That was the listing price, but what is the balance of the mortgage/s?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM

it was a traditional sale and under contract (it fell through) for 545k about a month before becoming a short sale

Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
The seller is really the bank, not the person living there. If you are pushing against the person that is a waste of time. The people have no interest in the house, they are walking away. They also could care less how much they get for it. All they care about is that the bank accepts the offer price and they get to walk away. There might be some ego involved but other than that, you're concerned about something that doesn't much matter.

If your offer is accepted by the bank, it is unlikely that someone else will jump in front of you. It can happen but unlikely.

The bank has already figured out how much money they must have in the offer to be acceptable. Time becomes something of the essence when the offer is accepted and after going through much of the process, they aren't too interested in changing the horse in the middle of the race. That costs them money too and with no guarantee that the other buyer simply doesn't walk away after a time.

You didn't mention how much EMD you are dropping but if it is a small amount, the listing agent will like to continue to show. Increase that amount and you might see movement on your request. Money talks and everything else is ...

The main thing with a short sale is getting the offer accepted by the bank. It doesn't matter what the individual agrees to if the bank doesn't accept it. Check first to see what the bank is requiring. Ask the question straight and get a straight answer. "Is the clause to continue showing your requirement, the listing agent or the bank's" Then you'll know. If it is the bank's, why bother with it, get your offer accepted. if it is the listing agent or individual, sure, if you are unhappy with it, tell them you want it removed.

The point is to know where that clause comes from because you could just be shooting your own offer down if the bank wants it.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Why would you do a home inspection before the bank has approved the short sale?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM

because the contract state that within 15 days after attorny review i must get inspection done. this is the norm (cofirmed by my laywer and agent) even though there is no bank approval. a "sunk" cost of sorts. I'm not pleased about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs