Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 AM

367 posts, read 488,177 times

Advertisements

Say for instance a property is owned by a bank and they are asking 220K. If I offer 200K cash would they give it to me versus a guy who is putting 20% down and offering 210K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Yes, cash means you are a reliable buyer, the bank doesn't have to wait weeks for your check to come in.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Yes and no.

As N4S said, it shows you are wiling and able to close with no mortgage hitch and if you agree to a cash only sale, they can take your earnest money if you decide to seek a mortgage.

No because a cash only sale offer is still just an offer that has to go through the process and some person at the bank with a calculator may be willing to accept the higher offer even if it means they have to wait 30 or 60 days for closing.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
I have bought lots of foreclosures.

Banks want to see cash heavy deals, no contingencies and waiving inspections. That does not mean you cant bring someone along while you "view" the property to do an inspection, but the homes are generally being sold as is anyway and an inspection is not beneficial to closing the deal.

In a previous offer a friend offered a few thousand more than I did, with a 3% down payment. I was putting 20% down and waived inspections.

I have been the chosen contract out of 5-7 other offers on my last 2 deals.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have bought lots of foreclosures.

Banks want to see cash heavy deals, no contingencies and waiving inspections. That does not mean you cant bring someone along while you "view" the property to do an inspection, but the homes are generally being sold as is anyway and an inspection is not beneficial to closing the deal.

In a previous offer a friend offered a few thousand more than I did, with a 3% down payment. I was putting 20% down and waived inspections.

I have been the chosen contract out of 5-7 other offers on my last 2 deals.
Agreed. Remove the mortgage and inspection contingencies.. seller will love those. Request quick closing on an empty house.. even more leverage.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes and no.

As N4S said, it shows you are wiling and able to close with no mortgage hitch and if you agree to a cash only sale, they can take your earnest money if you decide to seek a mortgage.
This isn't true.
If you make an offer, and agree to a contract, that calls for the purchase to be all cash, you are still free to seek a mortgage loan. You can even get the mortgage loan and purchase the property using that money.

What you cannot do is make the purchase contingent on getting that loan, or hold up the closing if your loan doesn't get approved. An all cash offer means that there is no mortgage contingency. On the day of closing, so long as you deliver the funds, no one will really care from where those funds originated.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
Say for instance a property is owned by a bank and they are asking 220K. If I offer 200K cash would they give it to me versus a guy who is putting 20% down and offering 210K?
Would they give it to you in that specific instance? Possibly, but none of us have any way to know that for sure. The bank wants as much for the property as possible, but they also prefer less risk. It would depend on the circumstances specific to that property, that bank, that asset manager, and those buyers.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Agreed. Remove the mortgage and inspection contingencies.. seller will love those. Request quick closing on an empty house.. even more leverage.
Generally the banks hold up the closings. So you can offer quick closing on your end, but be prepared for the bank to delay. I did the last deal as cash and it was still two weeks delayed.

I have a friend that has been working on getting one to close since February. His is a cash deal also.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
This isn't true.
If you make an offer, and agree to a contract, that calls for the purchase to be all cash, you are still free to seek a mortgage loan. You can even get the mortgage loan and purchase the property using that money.

What you cannot do is make the purchase contingent on getting that loan, or hold up the closing if your loan doesn't get approved. An all cash offer means that there is no mortgage contingency. On the day of closing, so long as you deliver the funds, no one will really care from where those funds originated.
Even with a cash deal, they very much still want to know how the funds originated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs