Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM

65 posts, read 257,066 times

Advertisements

Lately while I have been cruising Zillow and such consumer search sites I have been coming across some pretty attractive properties in Pre-Foreclosure. Well attractive as far as the aerial view and knowing the neighborhood/ possibly driving by it.

But my question is, what steps do you take then? I'm a first time homebuyer, and I'm guessing this is a pro's game, so it's probably not for me, but I can't help but be curious.

Zillow shows: The date the loan was issued, price and name of the bank. Then it shows you the date the owner was served a notice of Lis Pendens and the foreclosure trustee or attorney contact information.

So what's next? You contact the attorney? You never get to look at the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM

60 posts, read 130,700 times
I am also a first time home buyer and was browsing around on zillow and most of the properties that I fell in love with, including the price were short sales.

So far, we put an offer on a short sale. I am not experienced and still learning, but if you fall in love with a home you view, go for it.

We fell in love with a home, and made the choice to go for it. Try to make sure, you deal directly with the listing agent, who lists the property. ( I heard that's best) Also, question he/she is they have experience with short sales and closings with short sales.

I feel like most 88% of the timeline stories I read here, close within 6 months, and there are some that dont close or take longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
Lately while I have been cruising Zillow and such consumer search sites I have been coming across some pretty attractive properties in Pre-Foreclosure. Well attractive as far as the aerial view and knowing the neighborhood/ possibly driving by it.

But my question is, what steps do you take then? I'm a first time homebuyer, and I'm guessing this is a pro's game, so it's probably not for me, but I can't help but be curious.

Zillow shows: The date the loan was issued, price and name of the bank. Then it shows you the date the owner was served a notice of Lis Pendens and the foreclosure trustee or attorney contact information.

So what's next? You contact the attorney? You never get to look at the house?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM

192 posts, read 326,294 times
Have you read zillow's definition of a pre-foreclosure?

Buying a Pre-Foreclosure Property

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM

192 posts, read 403,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear629 View Post
Have you read zillow's definition of a pre-foreclosure?

Buying a Pre-Foreclosure Property
Great advice.

FYI, there is a big difference between a pre-foreclosure and a short sale.

A short sale is where the person has decided to list the home with a realtor and see if they can get a buyer for it. However it does not necessarily mean that the bank has agreed to do a short sale at all and the listing price is on they will accept (the homeowner may have already done that, but they could also be hoping that if they take a reasonable offer to the bank that the bank will just take it).

A pre-foreclosure means that someone has fallen behind on their payments. As the Zillow link points out, they may rectify this or they may not. So it is possible that the property will never be available for sale, hence why they say you first need to find out the status and be careful with contacting the homeowner directly as it may be a very delicate situation.

My advice, try looking at short sales or REOs (real estate which has been foreclosed on and is now being sold by the bank). While there is still a lot of uncertainty, at least you will be dealing with homes that are definitely trying to be sold and not getting your heart set on ones where there was never a chance. As for your question about inspections, in either of these cases you should be able to negotiate for one but what is allowed and how much time you will get will vary.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 12,808 times
Default just learning

OK first I want to apologize if I come off like I have know Idea what I am talking about. it was just recent that I have been finding what I want to do in my life and think I have finally found it. I Want to make money while helping others. I love buying and selling things which got me to questioning what could relate to both helping people while making money and buying and selling things. I know there is more to pre foreclosures then just that but this is what I am determined to learn and want to do. I guess the question I have for you all is, what happens when you have an agreement with a home owner in the pre foreclosure process where I would pay there delinquent pass due bills in return there house doesn't get foreclosed on and I get the property. I understand there is a way to do it with the loan staying in there name until the house is resold but what happens if the house doesn't resell who makes all those monthly payments? and how can I minimize the chances of a home not selling. Once again I apologize if I come off ignorant and hope one of you can give me some great advice and help me get into this market. thanks for your time

Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,653,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbury17 View Post
I guess the question I have for you all is, what happens when you have an agreement with a home owner in the pre foreclosure process....
Its called buying the house from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbury17 View Post
where I would pay there delinquent pass due bills in return there house doesn't get foreclosed on and I get the property. I understand there is a way to do it with the loan staying in there name until the house is resold but what happens if the house doesn't resell who makes all those monthly payments?
That is crazy talk considering most homes are underwater and that is why they are being foreclosed on instead of selling. If they owed $50k on a $100k house they would simply sell it. If they owe $300k on a $100k house they simply say to hell with it, I will stay here for free until I get kicked out. Let the bank foreclose.

Giving someone a loan who is in the process of getting foreclosed on is the riskiest thing I've ever heard. You pretty much have no chance of getting paid back and no collateral.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Someone has been to a seminar.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
You can't trust Zillow.

Recent case in point.

Home shows on Zillow as foreclosed by BoA . Listed for sale couple days later.

The only thing Zillow got right........was the Listing price.

Not foreclosed upon. And BoA.?........nope.........Citibank is the lienholder. Has been since day 1.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:13 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glittercandy0504 View Post
I am also a first time home buyer and was browsing around on zillow and most of the properties that I fell in love with, including the price were short sales.

So far, we put an offer on a short sale. I am not experienced and still learning, but if you fall in love with a home you view, go for it.

We fell in love with a home, and made the choice to go for it. Try to make sure, you deal directly with the listing agent, who lists the property. ( I heard that's best) Also, question he/she is they have experience with short sales and closings with short sales.

I feel like most 88% of the timeline stories I read here, close within 6 months, and there are some that dont close or take longer.
The bolded part = Worst. Advice. Ever.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,215 times
EDIT: I decided to start a new thread for my question....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs