Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times

Advertisements

Hello

I hope someone can offer me some suggestions, I am so lost and in over my head.
My dad died 2 years ago from lung cancer and supposedly any day now my mom will receive survivor benefits due to his agent orange exposure. We have been waiting on that money for a little over two years so I'm not holding my breath
My mom has early on set dementia and has been living by herself for about six months, mostly because dementia patients can become very mean and she actually asked us to leave when my brothers and I suggested she give one of us power of attorney so that we could make sure her finances were being handled.
I recently found out she has been delinquent on payments for a line of credit her and my father took out. We received notice that the house will officially be auctioned off in August because of this. It kills me because her house is worth a little over $220,000.00 and she only has about $80,000.00 to go until her mortgage is paid off. It looks like the balance of the line of credit is somewhere around $40,000.00 but her monthly payments were like $300.00 and it wasn't that she or one of us couldn't have paid them, she just forgot. I'm so scared for her and desperately want to save her home.
Any suggestions would be sooo greatly appreciated.
P.S. She currently doesn't have any where near enough money to pay the full balance on the line of credit. My brothers and I pay her utilities and with her social security (she is 73 yrs old) she is able to pay her mortgage and other bills but not putting anything away into savings. She has a 401k that doesn't have a lot of money in it, but if necessary we can cash it out as a last resort to resolve this. It scares me to think of her living check to check with no savings, especially at her age and with current health conditions.

Thank you
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amynmesa View Post
Hello

I hope someone can offer me some suggestions, I am so lost and in over my head.
My dad died 2 years ago from lung cancer and supposedly any day now my mom will receive survivor benefits due to his agent orange exposure. We have been waiting on that money for a little over two years so I'm not holding my breath
My mom has early on set dementia and has been living by herself for about six months, mostly because dementia patients can become very mean and she actually asked us to leave when my brothers and I suggested she give one of us power of attorney so that we could make sure her finances were being handled.
I recently found out she has been delinquent on payments for a line of credit her and my father took out. We received notice that the house will officially be auctioned off in August because of this. It kills me because her house is worth a little over $220,000.00 and she only has about $80,000.00 to go until her mortgage is paid off. It looks like the balance of the line of credit is somewhere around $40,000.00 but her monthly payments were like $300.00 and it wasn't that she or one of us couldn't have paid them, she just forgot. I'm so scared for her and desperately want to save her home.
Any suggestions would be sooo greatly appreciated.
P.S. She currently doesn't have any where near enough money to pay the full balance on the line of credit. My brothers and I pay her utilities and with her social security (she is 73 yrs old) she is able to pay her mortgage and other bills but not putting anything away into savings. She has a 401k that doesn't have a lot of money in it, but if necessary we can cash it out as a last resort to resolve this. It scares me to think of her living check to check with no savings, especially at her age and with current health conditions.

Thank you
Amy
Go to court and ask for conservatorship due to her being mentally incompetent. Then you can negotiate with creditors and hopefully it is not too late to repair the damage.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,913,781 times
As of January 2014 there are new requirements for Mortgage servicers, cannot start a foreclosure until 4 months after a borrower falls delinquent. If the borrower does not submit an application for a loan modification, the foreclosure can begin.

Even if a borrower is more than 120 days delinquent, if that borrower submits a complete loss mitigation application before the servicer has made the first notice or filing required to initiate a foreclosure process, a servicer may not start the foreclosure process unless:
  • the servicer informs the borrower that the borrower is not eligible for any loss mitigation option (and any appeal has been exhausted)
  • the borrower rejects all loss mitigation offers, or
  • the borrower fails to comply with the terms of a loss mitigation option such as a trial modification.
If a complete application is received more than 37 days before a foreclosure sale, the servicer may not move for a foreclosure judgment or order of sale, or conduct a foreclosure sale.

Have you started a loan modification? You have a valid hardship. Does you mother have $968 in SS benefits (bare minimum $726) per month?

Need more details....... Sent you a PM...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs