Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:39 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
For what it's worth, I would withdraw the offer, too. But, I wouldn't attempt to buy it at the court house steps. Instead, I would wait until the bank takes possession and see what they market it for. It may be less. (Of course, it may not be...but I'd chance it.)
There are so many vultures looking for foreclosure deals, and so many games at the courthouse, too, the local scene needs to be observed closely.
We had a couple of regulars do time for bid rigging several years ago when there were lots of foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 31,392 times
Mike,

What should I be looking at on the local scene? I went to one sale date but all sales for that day had been postponed so I did not get to see what the turnout looked like. Also what kind of games go on at the courthouse?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweaver1214 View Post
Mike,

What should I be looking at on the local scene? I went to one sale date but all sales for that day had been postponed so I did not get to see what the turnout looked like. Also what kind of games go on at the courthouse?
Bid rigging is a "game." Investor bidders arranged between them not to bid against the other parties to suppress the prices they paid. And, some did hard time when caught.
I believe I saw it done, but I think because he was hot for her as much as for any financial angle.

I don't know your local laws and local customs, so it is hard for me to answer. I know that you are putting a toe into a difficult arena.

FWIW:
I Went to the Foreclosure Auctions. Surreal!-

Old 01-25-2016, 03:05 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweaver1214 View Post
Mike,

Thanks for your reply but I am looking for actual advice from people with experience in this situation, not negative comments from those who do not have real advice to offer.
That was real advice. Not the advice you were looking for, perhaps, but advice all the same.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That was real advice. Not the advice you were looking for, perhaps, but advice all the same.

Thanks for your reply, I asked about withdrawing my current offer to try and stop further postponements. Not if I should walk away from the house. I am not in a bind to get the property bought but I would rather it happen in a few months than a few years. I am trying to find the right balance between keeping my foot in the door in the event the paperwork is submitted and keeping the bank from holding out for the short sale.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Update, I received correspondence from the negotiator today that the necessary paperwork has not been received, causing the file to be "closed to be reviewed" which seams like a good step. I called PHH and asked them if this meant that if the paperwork is not sent in will the Sale take place in April and the POC said this typically means the short sale is off the table once the file is closed with incomplete paperwork.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Do you know how to track your local foreclosures, at the courthouse, or however it is done?

It is good to be on top of it. Sometimes they drag on, and other times they happen in a flash.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM

From everything I have found, in Pennsylvania all foreclosure documents are filed through the Prothonotary office. I have been checking the file regularly to keep an eye on what the bank has sent to the homeowners and court system. According to a local real estate attorney the only way the homeowner can delay the sheriff sale at this point would be to file bankruptcy. The bank on the other hand could delay it for as long as they want for any reason at all.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Just an update on the house. I blught it this morning at sheriff sale for 121k the house appraised for 192k in present condition and the judgement was 210k. I'm really happy with the results of this sale. Thanks for the advice ir helped immensely!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,013 times
Thanks is great news! Your persistence paid off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs