Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Maybe this creates an active conversation. In your experiences the good and bad or advantages vs. disadvantages on a HUD property.

I'll post some I am aware of:
a. If it's an FHA loan then the deposit can be $100 through some new program.
b. If it's an FHA loan the buyer can cancel, if not an FHA loan then a cancel and they lose their deposit.
c. There is a chance that no one will turn the utilities on to allow for an inspection.
d. If it is a non HUD bank, why does HUD insist on their appraisers and their contractors? Any work around?
e. Investors are locked out of offering for 30 days? Or is it 20 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 03:59 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Buying a HUD home is a great idea. You're dealing with a benevolent government agency. What could possible go wrong?

Heh, heh, heh.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:41 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Maybe this creates an active conversation. In your experiences the good and bad or advantages vs. disadvantages on a HUD property.

I'll post some I am aware of:
a. If it's an FHA loan then the deposit can be $100 through some new program.
b. If it's an FHA loan the buyer can cancel, if not an FHA loan then a cancel and they lose their deposit.
c. There is a chance that no one will turn the utilities on to allow for an inspection.
d. If it is a non HUD bank, why does HUD insist on their appraisers and their contractors? Any work around?
e. Investors are locked out of offering for 30 days? Or is it 20 days?
HUD homes are taken back by the feds. They aren't a bank. So they will follow federal government guidelines that they have established. I've had no issues with HUD transactions. The coordination of getting the utilities on hasn't been a huge issue for me. You just have to be on it.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
My first house I bought in the 80's was a HUD house. We inspected it with a flashlight. They would not do any repairs, and I knew that going in. It was a good deal and started me on to home ownership. Sold it 4 years later at a profit. Bought it for $41k and sold it for $48k. A $7k profit in 4 years was great in that day.

Bought another HUD house in 1999 and sold it in 2017. That one needed much more work, but still enjoyed living in it and made a profit when I sold it. And I bought it $23k under the HUD appraisal! Instant equity.

Am in escrow now with a house I bought off and auction site, it too is a HUD home. I did not know it until escrow started, but again all is fine. Cannot wait to see the inside. It will be a rental.

I like HUD houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs