Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
A different take on this (and I also don't believe in bail outs...). I'm a buyer. When I see "foreclosure," it often also says "AS IS"-- scares the bejeezus out of me. Wouldn't touch a foreclosed property with a ten foot pole. Plus, unless you're a speculator, the whole process is confusing and off-putting.

If there are as many foreclosed homes on the market as they say there are (and more to come), the small supply of buyers won't be enough to make a dent in them if they're not attractive purchases. To me, the $7,000 is the government's way of enticing buyers to at least CONSIDER buying these still-risky properties.

To the example someone gave earlier, if identical homes are across the street and one is 7k less, but a foreclosure, I'll pony up 7k more to get a home I know has been cared for, hasn't been trashed in anger and isn't "AS IS" with no promise of anything from a bank. Hell, I'd even like to make eye contact with the current owners-- knowing a place hasn't been sitting vacant is a really good start.

Lastly, many of these foreclosed homes are in new subdivisions that are WAY overdeveloped. A "good price" on a foreclosure this year could easily be the upside down mortgage of 2009. One more reason I won't sign up for a foreclosed home.

So...I don't believe in bail outs, but there is another side to this.
Well my tax dollars are bailing out a bank that's holding properties. I know how poor the banks run the REO's and they shouldn't be helped for the problems they helped create. Enough buyers already have the misconception that foreclosures are all bargains when they usually aren't that we certainly don't need more reason to push them on someone. Fixer uppers have ruined plenty of young couples already.

Secondly, why should the government get involved pushing one home over another? It's not fair to the private sellers that REO's are getting special treatment. A lot of the problems would be fixed if the banks got the loss mitigation/short sale departments working more fluently and then the same if they made it easier to buy a foreclosure. The banks are a nightmare to deal with so they should be encouraged to streamline the process and this does nothing good IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
As someone living in an area that is still badly inflated I can definitely say that a $7000 tax credit will not get me to rush to buy a property that is $100k overpriced. So as a stimulus, at least in my neck of the woods, it is a failure before it even starts.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
So here's what I'm not understanding, a relative of mine was due to close on a house in 4 days. Today they were contacted and told their loan was denied and the only reason given was that there was too much risk in the market they were buying in. Not because they have bad credit (805 btw), not because they can't afford it (right at 3x income), not because they weren't putting enough down (20%), but because the lender is scared of all of the defaults in the area.

Granted, a lot of the bad loans out there were made by this lender but if you want to get these houses off the market and off your books aren't you going to have to lend people the money to buy them? If you don't lend people money aren't these houses just going to continue to decline in value?

It's also confusing why it took the lender a month to come to this conclusion. If you weren't going to make a loan in the area why would you approve her and let her spend her money on inspections only to pull the rug out at the last minute?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Quote:
So here's what I'm not understanding, a relative of mine was due to close on a house in 4 days. Today they were contacted and told their loan was denied and the only reason given was that there was too much risk in the market they were buying in. Not because they have bad credit (805 btw), not because they can't afford it (right at 3x income), not because they weren't putting enough down (20%), but because the lender is scared of all of the defaults in the area.

Granted, a lot of the bad loans out there were made by this lender but if you want to get these houses off the market and off your books aren't you going to have to lend people the money to buy them? If you don't lend people money aren't these houses just going to continue to decline in value?

It's also confusing why it took the lender a month to come to this conclusion. If you weren't going to make a loan in the area why would you approve her and let her spend her money on inspections only to pull the rug out at the last minute?
That is horrible and makes no sense at all. Will another lender let them borrow?
See, banks getting skittish about something like this is not helping the housing market, it is further hindering it! Makes me wonder if the banks aren't in cahoot so they can unload and make people buy all their foreclosures the banks are holding.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:36 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
That is horrible and makes no sense at all. Will another lender let them borrow?
See, banks getting skittish about something like this is not helping the housing market, it is further hindering it! Makes me wonder if the banks aren't in cahoot so they can unload and make people buy all their foreclosures the banks are holding.
Another lender is being sought but who knows what will happen if lenders are scared to lend in the problem markets they themselves created.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
so, the way I understand this, the government is subsidizing banks for the bad financial behavior of the past?

Gotta love these multi-millionaire politicians who sit atop their perch and make more bad decisions for the country just for a few votes....

Only in America!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Quote:
Another lender is being sought but who knows what will happen if lenders are scared to lend in the problem markets they themselves created.
My guess is the lenders will start being sued by the home sellers....

I do hope it works out..Keep us updated...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:11 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. It should be the other way around if nothing else. When you buy a foreclosure you are already getting a low price for the home. Why do people need more inspiration to buy a foreclosure???? Foreclosure sales would rise and those who individuals who are selling their homes would suffer further. It's not right. If anything it should be the opposite. Offer incentives to those who don't buy the foreclosures!!!
THEORETICALLY you are getting a better price if you buy a bank owned property but not if the property was 100% financed; bought with zero down in 2005-2006 when prices were higher than they are now.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
THEORETICALLY you are getting a better price if you buy a bank owned property but not if the property was 100% financed; bought with zero down in 2005-2006 when prices were higher than they are now.
I don't follow, can you explain for me? Thank you.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
I just read a headline this past week that some banks in the UK have halted ANY new mortgages for ANYBODY period. Let's hope that doesn't spread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs