Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

I hold the mortgage and am paid. Owner wants me to take it back and wouldn't dispute foreclosure due to lack of payment.
Which is less expensive and less of a hassle for me? I'm thinking quit claim ( and yes, I know what other payments are due, i.e taxes, etc. and that I would be assuming them)
Second question is would the title company we used do the paperwork for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
1. I am not a lawyer.

2. I think the Quit Claim would be the ticket, as long as you do a title search and see if the owner has any other liens on the property.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM

577 posts, read 663,479 times
Speak to an attorney.

I would think a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure would be what you want. It's a warranty deed that would forego the foreclosure procedure, but still warrants title. An attorney can do a title search and advise you of your rights to collect on any monies lost by taking back the home.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Warranty deed is the only way to go.

I would also make damned sure I did a thorough inspection of the place before taking it back as well as making sure the buyer was out of the house completely before closing on the transaction.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Read my lips: CONSULT AN ATTORNEY SOON there IS no other way.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:47 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. I am not a lawyer.

2. I think the Quit Claim would be the ticket, as long as you do a title search and see if the owner has any other liens on the property.
Our HOA is in dispute with an outfit that placed a lien which affects all unit owners. I am aware of that and am willing to be subject to it. Although the title company usually used has closed one other property with a waiver from the HOA, the process was such a pain and the waiver questionable, as written, that they will no longer work in our community until that lien is settled.
Another title company refused to issue and two sales were lost.
It's more than doubtful that clear title is possible

Old 02-04-2019, 04:32 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Our HOA is in dispute with an outfit that placed a lien which affects all unit owners. I am aware of that and am willing to be subject to it. Although the title company usually used has closed one other property with a waiver from the HOA, the process was such a pain and the waiver questionable, as written, that they will no longer work in our community until that lien is settled.
Another title company refused to issue and two sales were lost.
It's more than doubtful that clear title is possible
That is one lien.
Has the owner been hit with a judgement lien?
Mechanic's lien for work done?
Tax lien?
Unpaid condo association fee lien?

Interesting mess with the condo titles.
Good luck!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:48 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
First of all, make sure that you know all of the encumbrances affecting the title. You can probably pay a title company to do a title search, but I'm not sure that they'd issue you a title insurance policy. What amount would they be insuring?

If you want the property back, the best bet is most likely a Quit Claim Deed. Cheap and simple. Contacting a real estate lawyer to handle it is always a good recommendation. If there are back taxes, a Warranty Deed will probably not work since in Michigan--and likely in many other states--a Warranty Deed can not even be recorded if taxes are owing.

And, as previously noted, make sure to inspect the property beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs