Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times

Advertisements

If a house is a short sale, how does a potential buyer formulate an offer that is likely to be accepted by the lender(s)?

For example, if the buyer can't make the payments any longer, but still owes less than what the house is currently worth, should a buyer:

A. Offer whatever is owed on the house
B. Offer what s/he feels is fair market value
C. Offer fair market value minus some fixed percentage just because it's a short sale

Would a lender accept an offer that would pay off the debt, even though the house may be worth more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
I'm currently bidding on a short sale right now. The bank obviously wants as much money as they can get so, whoever bids the highest is going to get the house regardless of any other factors.

However, in this particular case, the financing fell through on the highest bid. That's the problem for the bank ... lending guidelines are tightening daily and finding buyers who will actually be able to close is tough ... especially since loan approvals may easily fall though in the 3-4 months it may take to get these deals done.

At first the bank wanted $400K for this house (the orginial loan was $550K) ... the highest bid came in at $350K but, as I previously mentioned, it fell through.

I only feel comfortable bidding $300K because I think there's a lot more downside in this market and I don't want to be caught in a negative equity situation if I can help it.

Somebody else may come in and bid higher and I do love the property but, $300K is the only price I feel comfortable paying. So ... even though I really want the house, if I don't get it at price, so be it.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:58 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I have not found a general rule to follow as each short sale is so different. It depends on how many liens are on the property and just how much the seller owes on the house vs. the sale price. Find out what the seller paid for it, how much they owe and if there are any other liens on the property. Once the bank gets the BPO on the property they will assess their losses. I've seen them budge 10-150k depending on the marketabilitly of the home. You asked if the lender would take less than the house is worth but enough to pay off the debt and in my opinion the answer is yes. The bank just wants their money back. The sooner they can get it off their books the better. I have had banks take a lesser price offer simply because the lower offer could close in 3 weeks vs 45 days for the higher offer. They are not in the business of owning real estate and want to unload quickly. I always suggest offering a bit lower price but entince the bank with a quick and simple closing date.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quick basic question regarding short sales. I am not familiar with this process at all but this weekend I saw a townhouse with a FSBO sign but with "Auction" written on it.

I called the number listed and asked why it said "Auction" and the owner said they were trying to negotiate a short sale. That the market value was about $230K and that it would sell for above $200K. So I said, thanks very much.

How would I go about getting real information to see if I'm interested?

Last edited by vpcats; 04-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
For buyers the lowest offer the bank will accept is a good offer. The only way to find out is to make an offer and test them.

vpcats: If interested, the owner needs to hire a Realtor to manage the transaction. I don't say this to promote using an agent but because it won't cost the seller any money since the bank pays the commission. The banks would rather deal with a Realtor than the owner for a short sale. You could be proactive and hire an agent that is familiar and has closed short sales to talk to the owner and then list it to go the bank for you. Couple of different approached but it depends on the owners willingness to avoid foreclosure and the right person explaining the process to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs