Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,614 times

Advertisements

IN A SHORT SALE: Can a buyer avoid his offer being tied up at the bank by adding a clause to the purchase agreement that states he may rescind the offer without penalty or loss of earnest money if the bank does not accept or respond in X days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 AM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
Yes, I have had buyers and sellers do something like you mention. Some people will put the house must close within 30 days of bank approval. Some include a specific date to have a response from the bank and if that date comes and goes they have the right to walk away. In my personal experience having this type of clause in your contract does not make the bank move any faster but it does give you an "out" if you are tired of waiting. You asked if it will help a buyer avoid having the offer tied up at the bank....I don't think having a response date in the contract will make the bank move faster but it certainly spells things out to the seller in terms of how long you are willling to wait. You can always extend this date if you think the bank will respond soon. Perhaps others have had another experience with this but in my experience banks work on their time and that it that. Good luck to you.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
IN A SHORT SALE: Can a buyer avoid his offer being tied up at the bank by adding a clause to the purchase agreement that states he may rescind the offer without penalty or loss of earnest money if the bank does not accept or respond in X days?
The clause is used to protect you and your escrow deposit if you've put one up. In my experience it doesn't make the bank move any quicker unless it's already been assigned to someone and they are constantly reminded by the Realtor® working with them that there is an expiration.
When I've worked with buyers making offers on short sales there is no escrow put into play before 48 hrs of acceptance of the offer by the bank and no time periods start until that happens either. This way there is no outlay of funds by the buyer until and unless the bank has approved the contract.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 AM

Does anyone know of a Texas real estate attorney who can review this contract & clause via fax today?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
The clause is used to protect you and your escrow deposit if you've put one up. In my experience it doesn't make the bank move any quicker unless it's already been assigned to someone and they are constantly reminded by the Realtor® working with them that there is an expiration.
When I've worked with buyers making offers on short sales there is no escrow put into play before 48 hrs of acceptance of the offer by the bank and no time periods start until that happens either. This way there is no outlay of funds by the buyer until and unless the bank has approved the contract.
I agree the bank doesn't move any faster, but at least as a buyer you can decide if you still want the same property or want to move forward. Banks should understand that todays buyers are also people looking for a deal and aren't as much "emotional attached" as before and will walk to the next property that comes on the market, except for new buyers.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree the bank doesn't move any faster, but at least as a buyer you can decide if you still want the same property or want to move forward. Banks should understand that todays buyers are also people looking for a deal and aren't as much "emotional attached" as before and will walk to the next property that comes on the market, except for new buyers.
Speak for yourself. In the Vegas area the majority of REPO/Short buyers appear to be owner occupants. Palmcoast has it right. Use some strategy that keeps the escrow money at zero or close to it until the bank approves.

Put up one humdred with a greater EMD on bank approval. Or reuire a further buyer signature after bank approval.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Done, it's in with a clause that says if lender fails to accept in 3 weeks, we terminate the contract without penalty & earnest money is returned. Cross your fingers for us now. the sellers agent thinks it could come back in a week-10 days because he is already in touch with the bank & they are expecting our offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs