Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 02:40 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Kind of embarrassing but I'm searching for options. And please save the should haves and could haves,but bottom line is we just got a notice of sheriff sale with less than 20 days notice. The house is not in my name so I'm not sure of what kind of mailings the owner/heirs may have gotten,but I did hear that the word foreclosure had come up recently. And what I've heard of foreclosures is that the process could take up to a year,so this seemed like short notice.

I tried making some phone calls to the city and basically what I got was,first I have to file a petition to postpone the sale. Along with that I have to have the house changed into my name,then one of 3 things- attempt to qualify for a mortgage(credit score is not even 600 plus nothing to put down),or try to sell the place and possibly come out with extra depending on the assessment/value etc. Which I think would only be a few thousand dollars,or do a bankruptcy.

Advice?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 07:00 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Advice?...
Yes. Get a lawyer.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Kind of embarrassing but I'm searching for options. And please save the should haves and could haves,but bottom line is we just got a notice of sheriff sale with less than 20 days notice. The house is not in my name so I'm not sure of what kind of mailings the owner/heirs may have gotten,but I did hear that the word foreclosure had come up recently. And what I've heard of foreclosures is that the process could take up to a year,so this seemed like short notice.

I tried making some phone calls to the city and basically what I got was,first I have to file a petition to postpone the sale. Along with that I have to have the house changed into my name,then one of 3 things- attempt to qualify for a mortgage(credit score is not even 600 plus nothing to put down),or try to sell the place and possibly come out with extra depending on the assessment/value etc. Which I think would only be a few thousand dollars,or do a bankruptcy.

Advice?...
Since the house is not even in your name, you're basically SOL at this point. You have no legal standing.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:51 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Our county property tax sale was held back in November. The high bidders on each property were only "buying" the property taxes owed by the owner. I attended the sale and was interested in a property that was in the name of the grandmother who was deceased and the deed was still in her name from 2000.

Anyone could locate the heirs or names from the obituary, etc. and contact them. They would have to arrange for the property taxes to be paid and then, if there was no will, the heirs can petition to get themselves declared the closest of kin and get the deed transferred through the probate department. And this process allowed 12 months because the high bidder as the tax sale by law had to allow 12 months for the property taxes to be paid.

So you need to locate the closest of kin or the owner of the property.

20 days until the sale? Not a problem in our county.

It just means someone will agree to pay the back taxes and hope no one comes forward. After 12 months and the owner does not come forward then at that time the tax sale bidder would receive a tax tile from the county and can begin to get a clean deed.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:14 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

Advice?...

You are in Philadelphia, according to your profile "Phila4now"?
It takes liquid funds to buy a foreclosure. $$$$ and non-refundable. It is not an endeavor to take lightly.

Tax sale?

https://www.officeofphiladelphiasher...-for-tax-sales

Or, mortgage foreclosure?
https://www.officeofphiladelphiasher...-sale-mortgage

4. All properties are sold "AS IS" with NO expressed or implied warranties or guarantees whatsoever.... It is the responsibility of the bidder to investigate any and all liens, encumbrances and/or mortgages held against the property which may not be satisfied by the post-sale Schedule of Proposed Distribution under Pa. R.C.P. 3136 ("Schedule of Proposed Distribution").

Regardless....
If you cannot afford an attorney, you probably should immediately contact a Legal Aid service. You need to know where you stand, and maybe get help delaying sale.
https://clsphila.org/
https://philalegal.org/

Old 12-28-2021, 08:32 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
First, are you asking from the standpoint of a person with some ownership interest in the property or are you just a renter/lodger?

Old 12-28-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Our county property tax sale was held back in November. The high bidders on each property were only "buying" the property taxes owed by the owner. I attended the sale and was interested in a property that was in the name of the grandmother who was deceased and the deed was still in her name from 2000.

Anyone could locate the heirs or names from the obituary, etc. and contact them. They would have to arrange for the property taxes to be paid and then, if there was no will, the heirs can petition to get themselves declared the closest of kin and get the deed transferred through the probate department. And this process allowed 12 months because the high bidder as the tax sale by law had to allow 12 months for the property taxes to be paid.

So you need to locate the closest of kin or the owner of the property.

20 days until the sale? Not a problem in our county.

It just means someone will agree to pay the back taxes and hope no one comes forward. After 12 months and the owner does not come forward then at that time the tax sale bidder would receive a tax tile from the county and can begin to get a clean deed.
It's not taxes,it's the principle on a reverse mortgage.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:04 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Who is the owner? Are they alive? If not, who are the heirs?

Old 12-29-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Who is the owner? Are they alive? If not, who are the heirs?
Owner is deceased,my wife is the heir. However there was no will.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
You have a convoluted problem here. Randos on the Internet can't really solve it for you, or even give decent advice. I would take the advice in post #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs