Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: foreclosure, market, agent, flip a house, buyer, loan, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 185,635 times

Advertisements

Actually, some us (including me) work in real estate full time. Some of us (including me) do not need to depend on real estate as an income. Some of us (including me) do this for the pleasure of helping others and are not looking for the almighty dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM

76 posts, read 245,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmas View Post
Actually, some us (including me) work in real estate full time. Some of us (including me) do not need to depend on real estate as an income. Some of us (including me) do this for the pleasure of helping others and are not looking for the almighty dollar.
Are you included in that statement?

Good for you that you've found a job that you enjoy, while not having to rely on it for income. Unfortunately, most people in the U.S. are dependent on their jobs. I forget where I read it, but apparently most Americans are a few paychecks away from being homeless. And I don't doubt it.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:42 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
Scone - your absolutely correct, the projections for loan default is scary. I know there is a growing number of people that, like you, see a dire future.

Even before deciding to work in real estate I've been optimistic. My wife calls me a dam polyanna. I hope for good to come from bad.

While many people are struggling with declining home values, in my little corner of the world. Some are accepting the new realty and adjusting their asking price. This is giving those with a desire to retire to the sunshine state the opportunity to find affordable property.

Each time a property transaction occurs and an unoccupied house becomes someones home. Local businesses have a new customer and the economy chugs along.

I'm optimistic that energy prices will fall lower, even though it means that the world economy is probably contracting. Lower gas prices and lower home prices will make more people feel optimistic, plan for the future, instead of hunkering down waiting for things to get worse.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 185,635 times
AaronS, did you notice I was included in that statement? I know first hand about being just one paycheck away from disaster myself. I NEVER had extra money. I was fortunate to find a good job at age 30 (I'm not telling my age but I'm not 50 yet!) and socked away a little retirement. Now I can do what I like!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
plan for the future, instead of hunkering down waiting for things to get worse.
When the economy is moving into a recession the best thing to do is "hunker down". If you ignore the directions in the market (stocks, housing etc) and just feel optimistic about the future you are likely to become a bag holder. In other words you will lose a lot of money.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Default Good comes from bad.

Our son & his partner are taking a job transfer from TX to San Fransisco. They've said the homes they looked at a year or so ago that would have cost them $800k are now down to $500 which is now affordable for them. Previously home ownership would have been out of the question.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
FOXNews.com - U.S. Foreclosure Filings Surge 55 Percent in July - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

This means that more properties are coming on the market, because many foreclosing filings in my area are from homes that were never on the market and have been either rented out or people just live for free without even trying to do a short sale. This might be a local thing, but IMO it makes my offers not go up and IMO the bottom is still not reached.

Up 55% from a year ago, but 8% from last month.

Last edited by scgraham; 08-16-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Scone - your absolutely correct, the projections for loan default is scary. I know there is a growing number of people that, like you, see a dire future. ... Lower gas prices and lower home prices will make more people feel optimistic, plan for the future, instead of hunkering down waiting for things to get worse.
I actually think it's important for agents to stay positive (but without spin), because some of the velocity is caused by rising negative sentiment alone. To the extent agents can counter irrational fear, it helps to lower the odds of a panic, and that's a social good I can get behind. So please, fight the good fight and help calm the waters.

As for me, I'm hunkered in the bunker. For the first time in my life, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I'm thinking about buying gold. I'm thinking about a global recession, a la Roubini. Please let me be wrong.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
I actually think it's important for agents to stay positive (but without spin), because some of the velocity is caused by rising negative sentiment alone. To the extent agents can counter irrational fear, it helps to lower the odds of a panic, and that's a social good I can get behind. So please, fight the good fight and help calm the waters.

As for me, I'm hunkered in the bunker. For the first time in my life, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I'm thinking about buying gold. I'm thinking about a global recession, a la Roubini. Please let me be wrong.
I don't know... but even if I were to "hunker" down... and still want to do "social" good... I'd put money in the bank in a high yielding CD, or something else that would keep money flowing in the economy. It's the flow of money/credit that keeps economies moving (at least that money can be loaned out for a business for economic growth, or to a person who want's to buy a house... also contributing to economic growth).

I don't think Gold does anything to help society or the economy and may/may not even appreciate.... I'd feel pretty sad if I bought it for 1k... when it has dropped 20% since.

-chuck22b

Old 08-16-2008, 06:30 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
I don't know... but even if I were to "hunker" down... and still want to do "social" good... I'd put money in the bank in a high yielding CD, or something else that would keep money flowing in the economy.
That's what I'm doing now. I'm essentially betting the FDIC doesn't get overwhelmed.

Quote:
I don't think Gold does anything to help society or the economy and may/may not even appreciate.... I'd feel pretty sad if I bought it for 1k... when it has dropped 20% since.

-chuck22b
It's the drop that's tempting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs