Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM

546 posts, read 2,204,262 times

Advertisements

does anyone have the experience of providing an offer for a short sale and on the contract, you wrote, if the bank of the property takes longer than a certain period of time to accept, the offer price will decrease by certain percentage due to the market going down? I regret that i haven't thought of this, because we've waited for 4 months and the pricing is going down 22% or more. but I'm stuck with such offer now...wonder if you have thought of this before I did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:06 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
If you submitted an offer on a short sale property....it's not a binding contract and you can get out of it. Do you know that they have even accepted your offer price, since you haven't heard back. We put in 4 short sale offers on different homes and never heard back from any of them. We are on our 5th and finally it has been accepted and we are closing in 30 days.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Do you have a current appraisal?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
does anyone have the experience of providing an offer for a short sale and on the contract, you wrote, if the bank of the property takes longer than a certain period of time to accept, the offer price will decrease by certain percentage due to the market going down? I regret that i haven't thought of this, because we've waited for 4 months and the pricing is going down 22% or more. but I'm stuck with such offer now...wonder if you have thought of this before I did...
YOu are not stuck. A short will always end with a counter with all the banks conditions. Counter back the new offer when that happens.

It might be an interesting tactic to motivate the lender but I am skeptical. They really don't pay much attention until they decide they will take the short. Then they are arrive at their own price. Every short I have initiated started out low enough that you would still get a upward counter after three or four months.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
In my experience with short sales this year, it doesn't help to put certain conditions in the contract for the bank to follow. I don't think there are any rules there. Remember you can get out of it or counter since you are not in a binding contract in a short sale.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
In my experience with short sales this year, it doesn't help to put certain conditions in the contract for the bank to follow. I don't think there are any rules there. Remember you can get out of it or counter since you are not in a binding contract in a short sale.
Who told you that?

A short sale contract becomes a plain old RE contract when the bank approval contingency is met.

I would think it very hard to escape one after the due diligence period.

Note that the lender throws a counter that contains the banks requirements. But once you agree to that counter...it is just a regular old RE deal.

So be careful. Talk to a lawyer if in doubt.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:02 AM

546 posts, read 2,204,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Do you have a current appraisal?
yes, it's 279K, the offer we made was 269K and it's accepted. is that bad? the other units that we recently sold were about 10-17% higher than our offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs