Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Facing foreclosure, short sale possibility, mortgage payments, real estate associations, rental costs, hardship letter, potential fraud case, impact of short sales on credit report

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

After some big losses and large loans, my family is unable to keep up the mortgage payments. To avoid foreclosure, we found an agent to negotiate with the band to see if short sales is possible. It has been several months. and we just got a call from the bank and found out that our agent did a horrible report for us! The bank now considers our case is possibly a fraud and rejects our short sale request. and our agent never picked up our calls again!!

Please help!!
I don't know what to do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,756,735 times
Let it go into foreclosure.

From what I understand, a short sale has the same impact on your credit score as a forelcosure. I don't see there are many advantages for a homeowner to do a short sale.

Short sales always take a long time and don't close about 95% of the time. I think the real estate associations should stop doing them because they are a waste of everyone's time. You can try doing it again but it probably won't close in time.

Your last option is to get a second job or a new job that pays more so you can afford your mortgage payments. The simple fact that your loan is more than the house value isn't forcing you into foreclosure, it's the fact that you are not paying enough to make house payments. Make your hosue payments in full and you home won't be foreclosed.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,034 times
An option to another job is to rent out a room or two. Rent out the master bedroom, the one with the bath and walk-in closet. It will bring in more money either weekly or monthly. It's probably too late for that now, but you had to have known you were in trouble before you asked for help. That's the problem. Help could have come when there was time. Much of it is about preparing a budget for yourself where you pay about half what you currently pay for the extras. Things like eating out, tips, unnecessary trips in the car, too much entertainment, cut back on meat or other high dollar foods. You could have converted your garage into an apartment early on and rented that out as an efficiency along with renting out your master bedroom. One or both could have paid your mortgage every month.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM

192 posts, read 631,700 times
Stand up and fight - there are government programs. Call the bank President. I mean go to the top of the ladder. Report the realtor to the state authorities. This person is affecting your ENTIRE LIFE - since I am a realtor I cannot tell you how many ethics classes we are required to take - it just doesn't seem to sink in with some people. I have worked short sales and I had to go national when local (bank etc.) didn't work. I have spoken to every national agency known to man. It took me 7 hours to find the correct person at a certain mortgage co. - the local manager kept telling me corporate wouldn't respond. I did get through and found that the mortgage co had the file on the wrong desk for 2 months. It worked out for all involved but it took hard work and determination. You have to do that for yourself. The phrase "I need your help" works wonders - that and the realization that the person you speak with knows you're a dog with a bone and your're not giving up. Keep very accurate records of who you speak with,date and time and always ask for employee ID and ask if they are noting every contact on your file. It's not over til it's over. If you've just had enough check out a deed in lieu of foreclosure perhaps. I'll be thinking of you.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
What did the agent write in your "report" that they now think you are a potential fraud case? I assume the report you are talking about is the hardship letter?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
call the national foreclosure hotline Hope Now
call your lender find out what was said and what they know

Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,205 times
I agree stand up and fight don't take no for an answer. Call the bank ASAP to find out where you stand, keep calling until something happens. Find another agent who specialize in short sales and foreclosures not just someone who has done 1 or 2 short sales, if necessary interview several but time is of the essence, move quick. Not sure of your state, each state has different laws so it is vital to find someone who can help you immediately. Be leary of the mail you will get from various people offering to save your home, some may be legitimate others may not.

Good Luck- Wish you the best!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Let it go into foreclosure.

From what I understand, a short sale has the same impact on your credit score as a forelcosure. I don't see there are many advantages for a homeowner to do a short sale.

Short sales always take a long time and don't close about 95% of the time. I think the real estate associations should stop doing them because they are a waste of everyone's time. You can try doing it again but it probably won't close in time.
I'm curious about your "expertise" in this subject. Short sales don't affect you as negatively as a foreclosure, though they do affect your score to the tune of the missed payments you had getting into that situation.

And about your 95% figure, that's completely untrue. Banks will work with people in financial situations. I've done three short sales this year. The only three I've tried. That's 100% getting them to go through. Far off of your "statistic".

It's a lot of work, but they're done every day. It's easy to get a bank to put the foreclosure on hold for many months until you get a deal.

Unless you're an expert on something, please try to refrain from giving advice that affects people's lives.

To the OP...work on getting back in touch with your bank. I'm not sure what on Earth your Realtor could have done to have the bank saying you're trying to commit fraud, other than submitting an imaginary contract.

Get another Realtor asap that specializes in short sales. Have them contact the loss mitigation department and find out what the bank wants from you to hold off the foreclosure. Loss mitigation reps are notoriously short tempered because Realtors don't treat them very nice. If your agent treats them well, you'll be surprised how many strings they'll pull for you. If you have a VA loan, get your VA rep involved because they can help immensely.

Don't just give up. Go down swinging. You just may win.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,683 times
Kev is absolutely right. please don't give up.

shelly

Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,756,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm curious about your "expertise" in this subject. Short sales don't affect you as negatively as a foreclosure, though they do affect your score to the tune of the missed payments you had getting into that situation.
I was referring to a type of short sale that is a deed in lieu of foreclosure because that is what the OP is looking for. They affect the credit score the same as foreclosure. My source for this is Short Sales Affect Credit - Impact of Short Sales on Credit Reports - How Short Sales Affect Credit plus numerous other websites.

There are other forms of short sales that do not affect the credit at all, but this is only when the owner brings money to closing and has made all payments on time. There are other types that affect the credit score a little, but the OP sounds like he/she wants to use a deed in lieu of foreclosure, which will affect the credit a great deal.

Quote:
And about your 95% figure, that's completely untrue. Banks will work with people in financial situations. I've done three short sales this year. The only three I've tried. That's 100% getting them to go through. Far off of your "statistic".
See what percent of short sales close escrow vs. short sales going to foreclosure - Trulia Voices--. This particular article states that 80% do not close. My agent quoted to me that 95% of short sales do not close.

Since you had three, you are either very good or you only do short sales on properties where it is likely to go through. For example, short sales with one bank involved are easier than two. Short sales where the seller already has bank approval on need letter are easier than ones that the bank has not yet approved. The bank has not approved the OP and considers it to be a potential fraud case. That's not going to be easy to close.

Quote:
Unless you're an expert on something, please try to refrain from giving advice that affects people's lives.
My advice is sound. I believe my advice is especially sound because the OP sounds crunched for time. If the OP has not been paying on the mortgage at all, the bank will not be interested in stalling on the foreclosure and the OP is quickly running out of time. The fact the bank considers the short sale request a possible fraud is not helping the seller, regardless of whether it was the agent or the seller that made the error. He/she will have an uphill battle to face.

Last edited by bigtrees; 10-23-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs