Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,289 times

Advertisements

First time home buyer currently looking to buy a house and I was told by a Realtor that buying a house on short sale takes a few months.

So assuming I make an offer that is accepted and then my wait is say 3 months, what do I do in the meantime?
Do I stop looking at other houses and miss out on other houses if this offer is rejected?

Or do I keep looking but not make any more offers because I can honor only one accepted offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I would be productive & keep looking at more homes. You might find a nicer home and a better deal. You can always withdraw your offer on the short sale.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
We have an offer in on a short sale which is still in process w/ the mortgage company. We are looking at other properties actively still.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 34,558 times
I was wondering this myself. We have a signed contract from the seller (whatever that's worth.) The listing agent has been leaning on the bank and sent along our pre-approval letter but we're still waiting.
Our RE agent said to proceed with the mortgage, inspections, etc. as if the offer WILL be approved. We're leaning toward doing that but might start looking at other properties too.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 76,987 times
We continued to passively look at other properties, but we mostly just tried not to think about it for 2 months (wishful thinking, really).

We kept hearing that our offer WILL be approved as well, and I got so frustrated I almost walked...but I just got written acceptance from the sellers bank today (we made our offer on 1/6), so all is well.

I got my financing and inspection done weeks ago, just so I'd be ready to close immediately when we heard back. I've heard of many selling banks coming back after 4 months of waiting to say, "OK, it's approved, you have four days to close."

Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,036 times
What I gather from reading is that an offer can be accepted within weeks, but then you have to wait for 2-4 months for approval? Can you withdraw an accepted offer without losing the EM? What about if you put in 2-3 offers and they are all accepted, then after 1-2 months one is approved, can you pull out of the other two without losing money?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaking View Post

I got my financing and inspection done weeks ago, just so I'd be ready to close immediately when we heard back. I've heard of many selling banks coming back after 4 months of waiting to say, "OK, it's approved, you have four days to close."
Someone was giving you wrong information.

The contract between the buyer and the seller is contingent upon the lender accepting the contract.

One should not have an inspection until after the lender signs the contract. You do not know if it's going to be accepted, and may be wasting money.

The clock starts after they sign the contract and get it to you. Then you have (in AZ) 10 days (or as negotiated) to do all of your inspections. For a conventional mortgage the bank will usually specify at least 30 days for close. For an FHA they may specify more. But they have to give you sufficient time to the the mortgage.

Prior to acceptance by the lender, in the case of a short sale, one can withdraw any offer at any time.

In a regular sale, prior to an acceptance by the seller, one can withdraw the offer.

Because it does take a long time in a short sale, it is a good idea to continue to look at other properties in case the bank does not accept the offer.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM

182 posts, read 531,848 times
I suppose it depends on the house and situation. I just made an offer on a short sale. The seller accepted so now I am waiting to hear back from the lender. However, the listing agent expressed that if we put in a full price offer, she would list the house as Under Contract (which she has) and will not actively show the house. As such, only a cash offer may trump mine but all others will come second to me. The house is priced $10,000 below assessed value, nothing too crazy like 50%.

That being said, I am ever so passively listing some homes I would like to see. Whenever I get to see them, albeit days or weeks, I don't care. There are no homes other than my short sale that I am excited about, so I am trying to learn the art of patience.

If this is a hot property with multiple offers and it is priced WAY TOO much below the assessed value, you may run into competition from other bidders or a bank that will ask for more than list. In THAT case, I would ACTIVELY keep looking for homes just as you did prior to this one. Oh, and don't hold your breath.

Please keep us updated!
Jenn

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
I suppose it depends on the house and situation. I just made an offer on a short sale. The seller accepted so now I am waiting to hear back from the lender. However, the listing agent expressed that if we put in a full price offer, she would list the house as Under Contract (which she has) and will not actively show the house. As such, only a cash offer may trump mine but all others will come second to me. The house is priced $10,000 below assessed value, nothing too crazy like 50%.
The listing agent is working for the seller and the lender. It sounds like you may have put in your offer through the listing agent, otherwise you would only be talking to your buyers agent, who would be looking out for your best interest.

No matter what your offer is, the listing agent cannot place the house as Under Contract on the mls until both the seller and the lender sign an acceptance.

Until the lender accepts the offer, they can consider all offers, and any offer may trump yours.

Something doesn't sound right in this case.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,036 times
Can they (bank) consider all later offers if an earlier offer was signed by the seller? What time frame do you put on a short sale offer in which to get a response? I think my realtor put 60 days, not sure if that was for the seller response to offer or bank response to approval?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs