Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,646,405 times

Advertisements

Government report shows new home construction declined nearly 11% last month, dropping to the second lowest level on record.

Housing starts fall in March - Apr. 16, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 AM

761 posts, read 3,409,973 times
I think construction of new houses will stay down in my area for a good 5-10 years. We are way overbuilt, there are homes from 07 built that no one has ever even lived in. Glad I didn't go into the construction trade when I had the decision of what to do.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,575,279 times
Good post. Not surprised that the numbers are still plummeting. Don't buy into the media hype that the bottom is here. Still a long way to go.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
Some areas ARE seeing signs of recovery. Others haven't hit bottom yet. Still others simply haven't been affected and in a few rare cases have continued to see prices climb. There is no "one size fits all."

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,238,592 times
I think this is good for current homes on the market, as supply from builders will be lower, which should help us work through our inventory backlog. This could help us level out faster.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 AM

182 posts, read 531,224 times
I'm not a fan of new construction. Trust me, by NO means am I some environmental-freak, but the fact that we keep building and building and building (often times with poor quality construction) scares me.

Hahaha, just like there's plenty of kids out there that need adopted, there's plenty of older homes that needs some tender lovin' care too! But with the population expanding so quickly, new construction cannot be avoided entirely. However, I can't help but think that 70% of people who are building are merely trying to keep up with the Jones' and living beyond their means in order to do so.

The one good thing about this recession is that I think it's making (some) people re-prioritize their lives and realize what's really important, like family. We don't need so much STUFF to be happy.

Better stop here- I feel a big rant coming on!

-Jenn :O)

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,575,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Some areas ARE seeing signs of recovery. Others haven't hit bottom yet. Still others simply haven't been affected and in a few rare cases have continued to see prices climb. There is no "one size fits all."
There are different signs of recovery. Number one are less loans to people that cannot pay them back.short sales and forclosures selling off faster, and conventional loans being issued instead of high risk.

When I talk of prices diving deeper and overpriced homes selling slower it basically effects EVERY market. That is how economics and the laws of supply and demand work. General rule of thumb pre-bubble was 2 and a half your annual salary for for a home. The bubble escalated it to 4,5,6 times your salary.

What we are experiencing now is a deflation and it will continue until prices return to the normal buying range.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM

982 posts, read 1,096,980 times
*yawn*

Seriously, do we need a new thread every day from the sky is falling crowd?

I could link to here three more articles on how the decline is leveling off, stock market is back up, etc., etc., etc.

My point is, can you just resurrect the last thread with the same topic and comment on it so the rest of us don't have to navigate through 10 threads aimed at making absolutely positively sure that EVERYONE agrees that disaster is still looming out there.

I don't know how you all get up every morning and face the day. I'd wanna off myself if I felt as gloom and doom as you people do.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,917,652 times
When I looked at US housing numbers a few months back I saw that we had an over supply of nearly 8 million units. That number includes condo's, SFH, and apartments. When you look at places like Miami where more condo units were built in the past 6 years than in the prior 40 years you see that the over-supply is not uniform. Area's that experienced speculative building will continue to see downward pressure on prices. While other areas will stabilize sooner.

One of the biggest drags on our recovery is the fact that so many construction related jobs have been lost. There is no incentives to help put these people back to work and the last thing we need is more new speculative building. The building industries slow down is also the reason that manufacturing is hit hard. Who bought the bulk of the trucks built by the auto companies?

So on one hand the lower new home construction numbers are good, the over supply will eventually be corrected. On the other hand there is no growth which is needed to put people back to work.

We have experienced several months of foreclosure moratoriums by many of the major banks. The hope was that the plans for mortgage mitigation and other programs introduced by the new administration would be taking effect. Now the banks are lifting the moratoriums, and foreclosure filings may surge.

I keep hopping that the wise people running things will eventually see that the only way to turn things around is to provide incentives for those with capital and jobs to spend it improving their homes. Putting the construction industry back to work without building more new homes.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 AM

959 posts, read 1,821,692 times
In my area new construction has just shot up all of a sudden. We have a new developement by own home that is $600,000 plus homes and it was pretty stagnant for a long time. Just in the last couple of months they have about 6 homes going up in there. During the parade of homes the builder had a 1.2 million model open and it already has people moving into it.

There are also other new developements around me that are still building and selling as well.

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs