Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,316 times

Advertisements

We put an offer on for 100 K home.. but it's a short sale and weve been waiting almost 2 months for the lender to sign off on it or something. I assume they got so far in payments. the owners that is...

The Owners accepted our offer and we keep resigning paper work to extend the contracts but it feels like nothing is being done on the lenders behalf... It's a great house but I dont know how long it takes. anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,077,758 times
This is the problem w/ short sales. This is very, very common. Great deals, but sucks trying to get it done quickly.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times
I've seen them go as long as 4 months. If you want to buy a short sale, be patient...they take a long time.

As a side note, as a buyer in this market, there are many deals just as good that have already gone back to the bank. They are often known as REO (Real Estate Owned), which is weird, since they are actually Bank Owned. They usually are much faster on response, similar to dealing with a regular owner. If you don't have time to wait on a Short Sale, but want a good deal, look at REOs

Edit * Sorry, I didn't answer your original question. A "Short Sale" means that the seller is trying to negotiate with their bank to let them sell the property for less than the amount they owe and have the bank "forgive" or "waive" the remainder. They may or may not be behind on payments, but the house is worth less than they paid for it, and they can't afford to bring enough to the closing to make the difference up.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

182 posts, read 531,197 times
Short sale = the people are upside-down in their loan and owe more than it is worth. Further, they cannot afford to keep making payments. So the bank agrees to sell the house "short" of what is owed and forgive the difference.

For instance, I am buying a short sale house. It is taxed assessed at $93k. The people re-fi'd it to $150k. MY purchase price is $83k.

The problem is that often times the people discuss with their bank that they want a short sale. The bank may say "bring me an offer and we'll consider it". So the owner and their realtor figure some price out for the house. Commonly, they accept multiple bids, select one as the winner, and send it to the bank for approval (although I have heard about multiple bids being submitted to the bank for the bank to decide who "wins"). So at the point the seller has signed, the house becomes contingent.

The bank may take up to 4 months to get back to you as to whether or not your offer is accepted. It does NOT matter whether your offer was for full list price or more. That does NOT speed up the process. They will then order a BPO (an appraisal) and may come back saying that your offer is accepted, declined, or that they want even MORE money than the homeowner listed it for. Short sales are often sold as-is and offers with contingencies are not likely to be accepted. I have found, IMO, that short sales are priced so well that full price offers are required, if not offering just a tad OVER list.

Good Luck! I am currently awaiting a response from the seller's bank as to whether they will accept my full-list offer. It's torture. So I obsess on this forum A L L D A Y L O N G.

Please keep us posted!
Jenn :O)

Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM

PS: If there are multiple mortgages on the house, that also is a cause for the delay for each lender must agree to take less than is owed. Maybe Bank 1 and Bank 2 agree, but Bank 3 wants a bigger cut.

However, they may be agreeable to only taking $5,000 instead of the $00,000 that is owed because if they don't and the people foreclose on the property, they will get ZERO.

A short sale is the last step before foreclosure.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM

503 posts, read 1,451,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
Short sale = the people are upside-down in their loan and owe more than it is worth. Further, they cannot afford to keep making payments. So the bank agrees to sell the house "short" of what is owed and forgive the difference.

For instance, I am buying a short sale house. It is taxed assessed at $93k. The people re-fi'd it to $150k. MY purchase price is $83k.

The problem is that often times the people discuss with their bank that they want a short sale. The bank may say "bring me an offer and we'll consider it". So the owner and their realtor figure some price out for the house. Commonly, they accept multiple bids, select one as the winner, and send it to the bank for approval (although I have heard about multiple bids being submitted to the bank for the bank to decide who "wins"). So at the point the seller has signed, the house becomes contingent.

The bank may take up to 4 months to get back to you as to whether or not your offer is accepted. It does NOT matter whether your offer was for full list price or more. That does NOT speed up the process. They will then order a BPO (an appraisal) and may come back saying that your offer is accepted, declined, or that they want even MORE money than the homeowner listed it for. Short sales are often sold as-is and offers with contingencies are not likely to be accepted. I have found, IMO, that short sales are priced so well that full price offers are required, if not offering just a tad OVER list.

Good Luck! I am currently awaiting a response from the seller's bank as to whether they will accept my full-list offer. It's torture. So I obsess on this forum A L L D A Y L O N G.

Please keep us posted!
Jenn :O)
Nice post! Head over to behr.com and start obsessing over paint! They have a feature where you can upload pics and see what the house will look like after painting.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM

380 posts, read 1,228,316 times
I'll keep you posted... almost 2 months now and still waiting. the house is appraised at 103 K, But the owners accepted our 100K offer. idk why banks just wont accept us i dont get it.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 AM

761 posts, read 3,409,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
idk why banks just wont accept us i dont get it.
It is what we are all wondering! With our situation, it should really go through. We have our buying agent, selling agent, sellers, short sale mitigator, and us of course all working on getting this deal to go through. If it falls through; NO ONE will get paid. There goes all the work from each person from our buying agent checking status every day, the mitigator dealing with all the bs and the listing agent finding all the comps to justify the price listed, and the time we are spending waiting for this to go through, not that it is costing us anything as rates aren't moving and all other real estate is still dropping in our area, but come on already!

Like Jsimon says, this forum keeps you busy and can read about other situations to get a better feel of what can be entailed in a short sale. They take time. Our timeline:

Feb 11th offer submitted
Feb 13th learned sellers signed accepted
Feb 27th Short Sale packet and PA sent to bank from mitigator
BPO Ordered and done sometime inbetween here and April 14th
April 14th Bank requested us to sign new PA with updated closing date of 5-29
Today- Still waiting to hear from Negotiator for final verdict

Have our financing taken care of, insurance quote for homeowners insurance ready, inspection person lined up and down payment in bank.
Be sure to have all your ducks in a row, just in case they do come back and say "lets close it, and close it really fast"!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
Be sure to have all your ducks in a row, just in case they do come back and say "lets close it, and close it really fast"!
My bank wants to order the inspection now, even before the seller's bank has approved the short-sale price.

Grant it, my bank is paying for it, but is that a wise thing to do? I mean I love getting my stuff lined up and as much done as possible but...

Thanks! Jenn

Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 AM

761 posts, read 3,409,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon521 View Post
My bank wants to order the inspection now, even before the seller's bank has approved the short-sale price.

Grant it, my bank is paying for it, but is that a wise thing to do? I mean I love getting my stuff lined up and as much done as possible but...

Thanks! Jenn
Are you doing FHA? The FHA appraisal/inspection is $425, if the deal doesn't go through, you will have to pay that out of pocket. That's why we are waiting for acceptance for both FHA and personal inspection. I can get my inspector in around a 48 hour turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs