Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM

366 posts, read 1,212,847 times

Advertisements

Here is the situation in a nutshell. We bought this house here in Vegas in 04 for $318,000. It is 1480 sq. ft. and out mortgage is 2k a month. The same exact house next door to us just sold for $121,000. Needless to say we are ****ed. We have been house hunting lately and have found houses THREE times the size in better neighborhoods for around 240-260K. These same houses sold for $600K three years ago. Now I gotta believe that these houses will show equity in the next year or 2 if they dont already and my house may take 10-15 years to get back to 318K.

Problem is we bought the house 4 years ago on stated income program. We are bartenders who only make 17K a year on paper but in reality make 150K a year combined. Not sure if they even offer a stated income anymore. We are spinning our wheels here. The house is 100%in her name. So the next house would be in my name. Besides ****ing up her near perfect credit for the next 7 years can someone please tell me why financially we souldnt foreclose on this 1st money pit. I am a bit green when it comes to this stuff but I am doing my research so if anyone has any words of advice I would appreciate them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
If you walk away from your current house without any money in your pocket, what will you use to buy another house and how can you buy another house if you've screwed up your credit? No, stated income loans are no longer available and now it sounds like you will be trying to buy showing just your income alone.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM

366 posts, read 1,212,847 times
The house we have now is in my fiance's name. We have saved up 25K for a new home that will be in my name only . So the credit thing is not the problem here. Just wondering wht anyone in my situation would consider taking such a huge beating month after month.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Buying a home and then walking away from another will be considered mortgage fraud!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Tell me why we SHOULDNT foreclose.
Because you're a moral, decent person who lives up to their contractual obligations as long as you're able.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
Let me see if I've got this right....

A few years ago, you found a house you liked...

You offered to buy it at what you thought was a "fair" price...

You get the house, and now learn that it is worth less than YOU agreed to pay.

Soooo, now you want to walk away and buy another house.

Yeah, that sounds about right, sc**w the bank, They should have known better than to lend you money, they deserve what they get.

What makes you different than any other "deadbeat".

You are not walking away from the house because you can't afford it, you just don't want to pay for it now.

You are becoming the poster child for what is wrong with "bail outs" and such.

SHAME on you !!!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 AM

25 posts, read 80,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Buying a home and then walking away from another will be considered mortgage fraud!
How and by whom?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
a deadbeat AND a TAX cheat NO sympathy here....sorry.....

Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM

160 posts, read 715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3788 View Post
Here is the situation in a nutshell. We bought this house here in Vegas in 04 for $318,000. It is 1480 sq. ft. and out mortgage is 2k a month. The same exact house next door to us just sold for $121,000. Needless to say we are ****ed. We have been house hunting lately and have found houses THREE times the size in better neighborhoods for around 240-260K. These same houses sold for $600K three years ago. Now I gotta believe that these houses will show equity in the next year or 2 if they dont already and my house may take 10-15 years to get back to 318K.

Problem is we bought the house 4 years ago on stated income program. We are bartenders who only make 17K a year on paper but in reality make 150K a year combined. Not sure if they even offer a stated income anymore. We are spinning our wheels here. The house is 100%in her name. So the next house would be in my name. Besides ****ing up her near perfect credit for the next 7 years can someone please tell me why financially we souldnt foreclose on this 1st money pit. I am a bit green when it comes to this stuff but I am doing my research so if anyone has any words of advice I would appreciate them. Thanks!
I say F it. People declare BK, etc. all the time. Buying a home is like buying and running a business-- it doesn't always work out. My mother bought her LV crib for 322 in 05... the houses in the neighborhood now sell for as low as 109.

The only reason you "shouldn't" let it die, is because it will f up your credit. On a positive note, it may take months or years for your mortgage company to foreclose, so you can put your mortgage payment into your pocket, and if you play your cards right, use that money for a down payment on a new home!

A few years of "poor" but workable credit, or a few hundred k down the crapper? You'll never see any appreciation. The bank may eventually sue you, but eh... you should be protected under Nevada's BK laws (so long as your new home doesn't cost more than 125k and you file the homestead paperwork).

Last edited by Sea2LV2Hou; 07-03-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 AM

160 posts, read 715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Let me see if I've got this right....

A few years ago, you found a house you liked...

You offered to buy it at what you thought was a "fair" price...

You get the house, and now learn that it is worth less than YOU agreed to pay.

Soooo, now you want to walk away and buy another house.

Yeah, that sounds about right, sc**w the bank, They should have known better than to lend you money, they deserve what they get.

What makes you different than any other "deadbeat".

You are not walking away from the house because you can't afford it, you just don't want to pay for it now.

You are becoming the poster child for what is wrong with "bail outs" and such.

SHAME on you !!!
Sounds like someone is upset that they paid way too much for their house... Buying a house has little to do with morals. It is purely a business decision. He is not asking for a bailout, he just doesn't care to continue a garbage agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs