Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Ok, we have had this happen twice in the last month. Anyone else had this experience?

In the first case, we had a buyer purchase a house at auction. The bank (rep) that the property WOULD have gone back to came out the next day, changed the locks and tore down the playhouse in the yard. The buyers, not knowing the bank had done this, went out a few days later and had the locks changed, thinking they were changing the locks from the prior owners.

The bank went out a few days later and found the locks changed again. They had them changed again, and told the neighbors to call the police if they saw anyone on the property besides them.

Next day, the buyer goes out with his entire extended family to start moving and refurbishing (place needed some work). Found himself locked out. The neighbor called the police and the buyer had to deal with the sheriff accusing him of trespassing and breaking and entering into a house that he thought he owned (and in fact, DID). At that point, we starting investigating and found out all of this had been going on.

The bank informed us that they now owned the property and our person was trespassing. Our buyer paid with certified funds at an approved auction to the approved auctioneer, which was a local title company. Took about a week to straighten it out.

In case #2, we had a call this week from a lady who found out that she still owns a house she thought was foreclosed on her a year ago. There was apparantly supposed to be an auction, and the bank came and changed the locks on the house, but never actually held the auction. She had no idea that she still owned the house and now is trying to figure out her options.

In both of these cases, the bank trespassed and illegally changed locks on a house they had no right to. Anyone else had a rash of recent REO fubars? Something to be aware of in auction situations anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
You know I think with the volume of foreclosures this kind of stuff is inevitable. I do think that it is not common, but the system is just overwhelmed and mistakes will be made.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
I'm sure things like that are going to happen even more, or become more well known anyway with all the foreclosures!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
i kept up trial payments, even after 90 days, and never got new modification documents, and even though still trying to work with them. they forclosed the house, we went to court house, and never seen anyone there. now they i have 2 options, rent month to month, lease for a year with some relocate money, or just move. forclosure attornery told me the day of the sale, my state not have redemtion law and we do.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

24 posts, read 54,762 times
In my case, I bought a Foreclosed Duplex. The Local Bank we bought it from was notified by the City 1 year before the sale that zoning was changed, The house now must be converted to Single Family. The Bank "Over-looked" getting this letter disclosed.. Now it appears they're going to make me sue them for non-disclosure... It sounds like i'm not the only un-suspecting "Little People" getting Duped..

Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod&Pam View Post
In my case, I bought a Foreclosed Duplex. The Local Bank we bought it from was notified by the City 1 year before the sale that zoning was changed, The house now must be converted to Single Family. The Bank "Over-looked" getting this letter disclosed.. Now it appears they're going to make me sue them for non-disclosure... It sounds like i'm not the only un-suspecting "Little People" getting Duped..
Given the above bank screw-ups, you still think the bank intentionally did not disclose the letter? You give them way too much credit. They are inundated with foreclosures to track and obviously have issues doing it efficiently and correctly. In any case I hope you get a favorable result. At the very least, it may force the bank to review their record keeping and disclosure procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs