Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM

29 posts, read 58,882 times

Advertisements

Well, after 4 months it looks like the short sale we bid on has finally been approved.

We got a call last night from our Realtor telling us not to get too excited but that it looks like our short sale has been approved. The listing agent is going to go over the details that were sent to her and will get back to our agent today.

So, what does this mean? What are the steps from here? I never actually thought we'd get here but now that we have... I can't help but be a tiny bit excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
Now you ratify the contract and perform according to the terms therein.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM

29 posts, read 58,882 times
And so does it mean that our wait is virtually almost over? That we will close within a month?

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,588,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketterman View Post
And so does it mean that our wait is virtually almost over? That we will close within a month?

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!
Well, you are definitely making progress. It depends on the terms the bank will want for their approval. They may want a higher price than you offered, or other conditions that may be of concern. That's why your agent said not to get too excited yet. You'll have to wait for the specifics from your agent.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 AM

49 posts, read 200,465 times
Default Hope all goes well

I was in the same situation as you a few weeks back. After 8 months the bank finally approved the short sale. The next step for us was to have the seller approve the terms and then we would have an approved contract. After about 10 days we found out the seller did not like the terms of the short sale and chose to have the house forclosed on instead.

The key statement the seller did not like was:
"The bank and/or its investors may pursue a deficiency judgment for the difference in the payment received and the total balance due, unless agreed otherwise or prohibited by law, if the short sale closes on the loan referenced above"

If I were the seller I would not like this either. He asked that this statement be removed and the bank said no. So after 8 months I think I have to finally give up. Maybe I can buy the house once it forcloses. Do any realtors out there know if this statement seem typical for a short sale? Why would a seller take a chance he could be sued for money at a later date and have to file bankrupcy. A forclosure would have to look better than a bankrupcy. I personally think the bak could be pressed to have this statement removed. It seems like it would be in their best interest but the sellers realtor was dealing with the bank and I can't control how he handles his business.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,901,340 times
Quote:
It seems like it would be in their best interest but the sellers realtor was dealing with the bank and I can't control how he handles his business.
And he has no control over how the bank handles their business.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nc View Post
The key statement the seller did not like was:
"The bank and/or its investors may pursue a deficiency judgment for the difference in the payment received and the total balance due, unless agreed otherwise or prohibited by law, if the short sale closes on the loan referenced above"...
It's typical. Banks want the option to go after the loss they will take on the sale.

It may be possible to negotiate to have it removed (notice the "unless agreed otherwise" phrase). Also as noted, it may be prohibited by law such as in Arizona which is a non-recourse state.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:23 AM

845 posts, read 2,328,789 times
Prices have finally declined enough for the bank to take your four month old offer, you think.....
I bought in SUmmerlin, last January 2009. The next door neighbor went through a loan modification with WFC in October 2008. They gave her a 6.5% fixed. She never made one payment. June 2009, they do a short sale, and actually get a little bidding going. They "accept" 45,000 on a place she paid 124,900 for in 2004. Meanwhile, in September of 2009, I sell my place in five days and close three weeks later. I look at the Assessor records today. She is still listed as the owner. Lots of wasted time and money, because the realtors are lying through their teeth about the shortsale process.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
Do you have any proof?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
... Lots of wasted time and money, because the realtors are lying through their teeth about the shortsale process.
And what lies are we telling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs