Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 27,889 times

Advertisements

Our vet retired and I am looking for a DVM in Fort Collins. I have a German Shepard with EPI, her pancreas is non functioning. I'd like to find a good vet that is economical and humane. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBee View Post
Our vet retired and I am looking for a DVM in Fort Collins. I have a German Shepard with EPI, her pancreas is non functioning. I'd like to find a good vet that is economical and humane. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
You have some of the best vets in the country right there at CSU. Also some that come for a short while to teach from other states. I have hauled horses and dogs to CSU for very serious conditions. Not only is it very interesting & educational when students are involved but it is less expensive. And I have hauled over 100 some miles. I wish I had them in my backyard. Have you ever tried there? Have you had a poor experience?

Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 27,889 times
Default CSU Vets

I'm glad they work out well for so many people. I have heard that they some of the nations greatest docs who are very dedicated teaching professionals.

Over the 38 years here in Fort Collins, we have had some expensive bad experiences at CSU.
We ran into huge vet bills for a cat that needed his leg amputated and they wanted to try saving it with surgeries that led a long painful recovery for the cat.
Many years later a dog with a heart mummer that they wanted to preform surgery on which we opted out of, the dog is very much a live and full of vitality.
Another friends dog came close to dieing during her spaying operation and had to be kept there for over a week. She had the most expensive spay I've ever heard of.
Another friend takes her dog their for allergies. The dog receives top notch care with a price tag to match.

My experience leads me to think they are great for those who need expensive complicated care. Although routine visits may be best served at another clinic.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,004 times
You should try Elder Pet Care/Dr. Tracy Thomas. They offer discounts to seniors based on their income. Their regular prices are also the best I've seen so far. Dr. Thomas is great with animals. The only problem is that you can't make appointments. Everything is walk-in and emergencies are given first priority.

Elder Pet Care and Thomas Veterinary Services (http://www.fortnet.org/srpetcare/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 25,452 times
There are lots of good vets in Fort Collins, also a lot of cheap ones. I've always like to pick one that really cares about the pets. You can always visit a clinic, take a tour and meet the vets. especially if you plan on being there a lot. Did your old vet give you any references?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 PM

16 posts, read 53,220 times
Default Speaking of animals

Can anyone there tell me if Fort Collins has a local animal shelter or sanctuary and if not where are the closest ones to Fort Collins with in a half hour drive. I'm looking to possible soon relocate there and wanted to see about getting a job at an animal shelter. I'm also planning a visit out there this year and if there are any close by I'd like to check them out.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,268 times
Whatever you do, DO NOT use Elder Pet Care. This is a horrible clinic. Dirty, unorganized, bad record keeping, and very rude. I heard them talking to a couple today about how the files are all mixed up with pets for one owner in with another owner. Then the vet told them they need to leave so she could see clients when the assistant was telling them about their dog's medicine. Very rude, I will never go back there and pity the elderly who are probably treated badly there.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,624 times
Not necessarily "economical", but the best canine vet I have worked with is a doctor by the name of Heather Steyne, Medical Director at VCA Fort Collins Animal Hospital. As she said, we "bonded" over my Golden Retriever who was previously terrified of vets and had to be lifted out of the car... shaking, at every visit.

When we prepared to visit Dr. Steyne, Henry (my 80# golden) ran over to the back of my jeep, put his feet on the tail gate so I could lift him in (arthritis), and he arrived at her office door with his tail wagging. At about 13 years of age he was diagnosed with cancer at the base of his spine, requiring the amputation of his gorgeous tail.

She is very well connected to the CSU Veterinary Hospital and their staff. The surgery was performed by the head of the oncology department, who was most familiar with this type of operation. Henry had a total of 3 cancer surgeries that fall. Once the hair grew back over his tail (which initially looked like a "bulls eye" and about which he was quite self conscioius), we continued to take long daily walks and he pranced in the snow puppy-style until his death at age 15 1/2.

I will always attribute the quality of his later years to Dr. Steyne's knowledgeable and caring service. She cried as hard as I did when her husband lifted Henry out of my Jeep on Easter Sunday Night several years ago, and we finally sent him to his final resting place. He lived a wonderful life.

VCA's Fort Collins number is (970) 204-4567, 4900 South College Avenue. I know there are many other excellent vets in Fort Collins. I am simply relaying my experience... and that of my companion of 15 years.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,382 times
Default I have to agree!

Thank you, FCNative, for your honesty. I have several objections to this establishment. When we used them, they did not charge for the visits or medication. (You could "make a donation" if you wanted.) The problem was that the medications were always expired (the vet got snippy when I questioned that!) One of our dogs had a growth and this vet gave it a snap diagnosis of cancer and gave the dog a very short life expectancy. Needless to say, we were crushed. We took the dog to another vet for a second opinion. The second vet actually examined the dog at length and took samples from the growth to be tested. IT WAS NOT CANCER! None of that dog's growths was cancer and she lived quite a few more years, happy and healthy.
Another of my dogs was living with my ex (she was old and we wanted her to be able to stay in familiar surroundings.) She became quite ill and the end was near. The dog was in bad shape, suffering daily. The vet from Elder Pet Care kept delaying our dog's euthanasia, day after day. Finally she agreed to do it, but would not allow me to be present. All I wanted was for this beloved old dog to be out of her misery, so finally I agreed. I found out that this vet's refusal to deal with me stemmed from my having reported someone she knew to the Humane Society for cruelty I observed in that person's place of business. Her petty vindictiveness resulted in the suffering of a dear, sweet old animal (and she knew it.) I can never forgive that.

Quote=FCNative;11847216]Whatever you do, DO NOT use Elder Pet Care. This is a horrible clinic. Dirty, unorganized, bad record keeping, and very rude. I heard them talking to a couple today about how the files are all mixed up with pets for one owner in with another owner. Then the vet told them they need to leave so she could see clients when the assistant was telling them about their dog's medicine. Very rude, I will never go back there and pity the elderly who are probably treated badly there.[/quote]

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,143 times
To FCNative,
You are absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong about Elder Pet Care! If you'd looked beyond the superficial you would have seen that Dr Thomas provides EXCELLENT pet care to the pets of poor, elderly and disadvantages people. I'm 67 and living on Social Security. The care Dr Thomas provides to pets of people like myself is the ONLY reason I am able to have a pet. She handles a HUGE case load with mostly volunteer workers and assistants. She just doesn't have the time or energy to coddle pampered pet owners or stroke egos. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area