Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 34,858 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Fort Collins after grad school and I would like to know, how would you describe it politically and religiously? I originally am from NYC, which, as you may or may not know has a very liberal population. I myself lean left, but I'd be OK living anywhere from "purple" to "strongly blue". I've heard some people here describe Fort Collins as purple. does that mean it is largely independent, it's not politically active, there is a large mix of political views, all of the above??

I am also Roman Catholic; obviously I know FC is primarily Christian, but what is the main religion out there, or is it just non-denom Christian? I'm not one of those people who wants to carry my NYC culture into CO, as many of you coloradoans on here describe; quite the contrary--I honestly can't stand NYC (upstate is decent though) and I think the culture of Colorado is a perfect match for the lifestyle I wish I had but am lacking here in NYC. I just should've been born there to begin with

The main reason I ask this is because a few years ago when I originally mentioned the idea of moving there to my parents they discouraged me because they stereotyped pretty much the entire state as "white and conservative, everybody's the same, bla bla bla..." I myself don't believe that, but I wanted a better perspective and a less stereotypical description of a place I think has been my real home all along. Whether you are from CO originally or not, I'd appreciate your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 44,562 times
In most states a large majority will always be Christians. You shouldn't be worried about that. You should be worried about religious fanaticism or the twining of religion and politics. If you have found yourself with a city like that, you will be surrounded by tainted minds and a tainted justice system.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I think your parents are partly correct. Colorado has a large white, Anglo, Christian population. That said, there are pockets of diversity. Ft. Collins, as a college town, should offer that (no first hand experience w/FC, sorry).

There are not a lot of "religious" people in CO, except maybe down in the Springs. In Boulder, another college town I am familiar with, having lived in Boulder Co for 25 yrs, there are people who practice their relgion, people who don't, and those who are indifferent and/or hostile towards religion. There are a lot of non-dom Christians here in CO. I've lived here for so long, I don't know how it compares to anyplace else. You could surely find a Catholic church in FC.

I would imagine people in FC are politically active. People in college towns usually are, IMO and experience. Boulder is certainly a polically active town.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:54 PM

anyone here who has lived in or been to FC? would you consider it "Anglo", like pittnurse said? That's kind of what I'm trying to avoid and the reason I was discouraged from considering the Midwest as an option for relocation.

From other posts, I've heard that FC is not too politically active, but for those who are, where would they fall? I do not care too much about ethnic diversity, just social/economical diversity. Just to get away from "extremes" in general is my main goal.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
I lived in Fort Collins and yes, it is *very* anglo. Moreso than Denver, I think FC will remind you of the midwest, though I've personally never been to the midwest. I think CSU has between about 1000-1500 international students, and there is a fairly small Hispanic population around town, a sizable Asian population largely connected with CSU or tech employers, and virtually no African American population. But other than that, it's anglo.

Politically, FC is pretty balanced between the Republican and Democratic parties. Actually, the town has voted consistently for the Democrat (Paccione) in the last 2-3 congressional races, but the rest of the district has always swung the vote towards the Republican candidate (Musgrave). That being said, Paccione is a middle-of-the-road Democrat who has received a lot of cross-over Republican voting like Bill Ritter and Ken Salazar.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 PM

I don't know whether this is accurate, being that I'm on the other side of the country, but I've read in papers and on the news that the West in general is becoming very Independent, or many people who were Republican are switching to Independent. Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against conservatives, I just don't want to be surrounded by the types of people you'd see in many parts of Utah; I'd like to be around people with political views similar to my own. But I think a place like Boulder would be a little too liberal. I'm kind of looking for a balance (like I said, I'm trying to avoid a lot of extremity across the board). I am 3-4th generation american so a large anglo population is fine for me.

btw what is the main division of christianity out there?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
The west has always been very independent. I believe there are more registered independents in Colorado than Democrats or Republicans.

I think you can google the religion breakdown. I would guess the Christians would go something like: Catholic, Protestant denominations, and non-dom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
View detailed profiles of: