Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position a CSU that would imply relocating from Florida. I like living in Florida and like my current job but this could be a really good move for my career and family. I was wondering how is it woorking for CSU? Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
depends where you work at CSU, it's the biggest employer in town, so there are lots of different situation you could be in there.

I was not very happy with my last job there, but that was no fault of CSU, mainly just the department and boss that I had there. The basic benefits were okay, although this depends whether you are a state-classified worker, or a salaried position at CSU.

I was salaried and we had really good sick and vacation time. 5 weeks of vacation a year (also federal paid holidays. and 8 hours of sick time a month (which could only be used for illness/injury and was not cashed out up my quitting). The extra vacation time was cashed out.

Fort collins is great, and CSU is a decent place to work, parking can be kind of lame, but I just rode my bike every day.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 18,920 times
Obviously, the department will have a great impact on your experience. One thing to consider (maybe this is the norm for academic institutions?) is that they are a social security exempt institution, which means you do not accrue credits in social security. While it saves you taxes from your take home, it also obviously saves them money in matching... Just something to consider.
Also: no real benefits i.e. access to University events at any great discount.
Football: minimal discount on season tickets
Rec center: minimal discount as well
Most cultural activities: no discounts
Again: no deal breakers, but I have been at universities where faculty and staff were given substantial discounts to sporting events and cultural opportunities as they contributed to the overall community feel. Not the case at CSU.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 PM

225 posts, read 597,205 times
What about tuition discounts? A friend is considering applying and has 3 kids.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM

36 posts, read 122,863 times
My experience is at UNC in Greeley. Tuition discounts for faculty and I think for staff. As for social security, my earlier job at UT Austin paid into it, but not UNC. I ended up disabled but couldn't apply for social security disability because I hadn't paid in for the requisite number of quarters immediately before the disability...a real bummer.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
For CSU, I know you, yourself as an employee get a good discount, and some free education credits. As for your children, I don't think there is any discount. But they would be considered in-state after a year or two, and CSU has one of the lowest tuition costs in the country for state schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area