Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM

718 posts, read 1,981,473 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Fort Collins. Glad you are enjoying it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM

210 posts, read 470,368 times
Thanks Mike!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM

We were just in Windsor today and stopped by a little thrift store called Pennywise, on Main, and had a great time. As we branch out to the surrounding areas I can't help but think how cool it is to discover a region. I think this may be my favorite thing about moving, our weekly discoveries.

Going on two months and not an inkling of homesickness. In fact, on the rare occasion I do think of my hometown, it is usually followed by the passing thought, "Will I ever miss it?". I update my thread every now and then just to revisit the huge amount of changes I've made in a very short period of time and to do a mental balancing of the pros vs. cons of the move! So far the scales are still tipped majorly in Fort Collins favor. Fort Collins can be done on a limited budget so if you are thinking about it and scared allow me to give you hope. I'm here. We are doing it.

One of the main cons has been cost of living increases, but it is hard to explain because some things are cheaper and some are not. For example, my car insurance is $ 100.00 cheaper every 6 months and I added coverage. Gas, utilities, and kid's activities are cheaper but haircuts, food, and taxes seem to be more. It will take more than two months for us to see how much of a change we may notice long-term, but we do see the differences, and sometimes it is significant (in either direction), but we still believe the cost of living increases are well worth it as we also have experienced an ever increasing quality of life. We lived a sedintary lifestyle before moving, and little by little we are becoming more active. Dear goodness...me, the disabled couch potato, is *gasp* bike shopping (recumbent bike shopping that is)! The city begs for you to be active, and almost makes it silly for you to not be (we, a family of 4, can ice skate in Old Town for 10 bucks), so we would be crazy not to oblige her. So that's the update.

Hope everyone has a great holiday! still in Fort Collins.

Last edited by feanix; 12-08-2010 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 PM

375 posts, read 910,416 times
Wait until you notice how much more sunlight you get than in PA!! You are going to love it - you can be outside every single day doing all sorts of activities! There may be some drawbacks to Ft Collins, but there are SO many outdoor activities to do and you can't beat the weather - even in the winter, the next day after it snows can be sunny and you can be outside in many cases!!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 PM

We've already noticed the difference! I have fair skin and had to use sunscreen in October. It makes me a little nervous about what July will look like!

Yes, I'm still very much in love with the Fort. Though I've been to Windsor now 2-3x and I think it gives Fort Collins a run for the money!

And I just want to thank everyone who has welcomed me here in the posts, threads, and just around town. I keep hearing about how unfriendly people can be but I haven't had any of that. My husband was just on the phone with an old coworker and the place he worked was robbed recently and he commented to me how nice it was to not feel like he needed to carry his gun with him to work here.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 AM

375 posts, read 910,416 times
Hey - wear sunscreen everyday! We really are close to the sun and you won't notice when it's chilly, but you can get sunburned!

I know what you're saying about safety - it feels SO safe here! I don't worry about that at all!

Glad you love it! It's a great place to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area